Software update news and release notes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Added full hardware acceleration. It is under Settings/Performance tab. It can reduce CPU consumption down to nearly zero but depending on the particular video card/driver it might not always be available or even lead to jerky video/slow performance. Well you can turn it on and off at will and see the results for yourself.

By default it is off.

Even if it is off we've always did some work on graphics card
but not the full pipeline.

Also turning it on does not mean that the system will always comply. Sometimes hardware decoder on video card might not like that particular video. There is a little LED indicator to the left of Dist. field of the ride. If it is gray the video is not opened. if it is green then full pipleline hardware acceleration is on. when it is blue there is a partial hw acceleration as usual.

2) Eliminated bog (hopefully) when sometimes software hung on entering video screen (note that does not concern slow outdated systems where video card is not compatible)
VeloReality Forum Administrator
ultrium

Re: 1.5.0.24

Post by ultrium »

I´m curious as to what hardware calls You make. We currently use two computers that have Nvidia Quadro graphics [HP z600 with 4000 card and HP z620 a K4000 card]. We also have a more ordinary HP (Ci7 and GeForce GTX 960).
From tests (not with VeloReality but the kind of tests that Toms hardware and Sweclockers use) i´ve inferred that WS cards like the Quadra series doesn't perform in video tasks as well as (cheaper) GeForce cards. What is Your experience, if You have any? Haven´t seen any issues with the z600 up until now, but then again we have had to take an involuntary break for some weeks. The z620 is a new acquaintance and hasn't been subjected to any significant use with VeloReality. Hopefully we will get everything up to par in this week. Myself has had some repairs and a the Studio a rebuild.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ultrium wrote:I´m curious as to what hardware calls You make. We currently use two computers that have Nvidia Quadro graphics [HP z600 with 4000 card and HP z620 a K4000 card]. We also have a more ordinary HP (Ci7 and GeForce GTX 960).
From tests (not with VeloReality but the kind of tests that Toms hardware and Sweclockers use) i´ve inferred that WS cards like the Quadra series doesn't perform in video tasks as well as (cheaper) GeForce cards. What is Your experience, if You have any? Haven´t seen any issues with the z600 up until now, but then again we have had to take an involuntary break for some weeks. The z620 is a new acquaintance and hasn't been subjected to any significant use with VeloReality. Hopefully we will get everything up to par in this week. Myself has had some repairs and a the Studio a rebuild.
I am not quite sure what is exactly asked here. Hardware calls are part of our internal kitchen and there is very little reason for us to publish it.

As for what cards act the best: we do not have extensive data. What we do know is that nVidia is not any better then AMD in general and having high level card does not always mean better video decoding perfomance.

Put it this way we gave he ability for users to try and choose whatever way works better for their particular situation and from there it is their call.

It may change when we start offering 4K and/or very wide panoramic content. In his case ability to perform full HW acceleration becomes important.
KeithD

Post by KeithD »

I tried the new hardware acceleration and it was very jerky. Its smooth on the original setting. I am using quite a high end laptop I will check the default G.card setting that uses your software. Often a laptop will choose the inbuilt g.card to save power. As your software worked well I never checked which one it used.
KeithD

Post by KeithD »

Yes that was indeed the case it was using the internal settings. I changed to the high end G.card and it worked as well as the other setting using the internal G.card.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

KeithD wrote:...I tried the new hardware acceleration and it was very jerky. Its smooth on the original setting. I am using quite a high end laptop...
I have very powerful gaming laptop on which it is also jerky and then I had some crappy system that was struggling playing video (too low powered) and checking that "Full HW acc" box actually fixed it. As I said it is all depends on how graphic card vendor decided to implement this solution. To me it looks more like newer cards (even crappy ones) work better then even high end old ones. Does not matter much for now. I have some ideas on how to make it work better but for now the real value of it is zilch but will come back to it when we are closer to release of 4K/wide panoramic content.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

KeithD wrote:Yes that was indeed the case it was using the internal settings. I changed to the high end G.card and it worked as well as the other setting using the internal G.card.
I'd be curious if you compare CPU consumption for either case (collecting some data).
KeithD

Post by KeithD »

admin wrote:
KeithD wrote:Yes that was indeed the case it was using the internal settings. I changed to the high end G.card and it worked as well as the other setting using the internal G.card.
I'd be curious if you compare CPU consumption for either case (collecting some data).
OK I tested out Katherine's computer and the Video was jerky using part acceleration. Smooth on full. The possessor percentage on part acceleration was 33% to 50% and on full it was 9% to 15%
Hope this helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

KeithD wrote:
admin wrote:
OK I tested out Katherine's computer and the Video was jerky using part acceleration. Smooth on full. The possessor percentage on part acceleration was 33% to 50% and on full it was 9% to 15%
Hope this helps.
Thank you. Means I did not waste my time for nothing ;)