Video skipping on downhill section

General discussion of the ride videos.
bkingsbury

Video skipping on downhill section

Post by bkingsbury »

I am currently riding the Grand Alps Grand Tour and loving it but there is one thing I found annoying on the GRAND ALPS, COL DE LA SINNE, PART 2, video. On the descent the video skipped at least 100 times. It would skip every few seconds on the descent.

This was pretty annoying as I was admiring the scenery after slogging up the mountain. Do I expect this on all descents in the series? I can understand why there is the odd moment cut out of the video but it made no sense to have cut over 100x on a 10 minute descent.

Is this an issue I'm having on my end or is it a video thing?

I don't have any problems with the climbing sections of the video.

Thanks a lot.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Video skipping on downhill section

Post by admin »

On that particular descent calculated bike speed is faster then the speed of the filming vehicle. This leads to a higher FPS (frames per second) values and your system is simple can't keep up. Short of upgrading/changing you computer you can try few things:
  • If your system has 2 video cards (on-board and separate high performance from nVidia/Intel make sure that software is using second one. It can be setup in nVidia/AMD corresponding control panels. If not sure how to do it Google the subject
  • If not already set, try setting "Settings/Performance/Hardware Acceleration" to "Full" in our software
  • Set "Settings/Grade reduction/Eliminate descends" option to checked. This will cure it 100% but in this case the software will treat each descend as flat section and your speed will be calculated accordingly. Hence on descends you will be moving slower then in reality.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
mac

Re: Video skipping on downhill section

Post by mac »

To confirm that it is in fact a too slow video decode problem, you can open W10 Task Manager, select the Performance tab, select the GPU box on the left side and monitor the Video Decode graph while you use a video (you can do this in simulator mode in Video Reality by running it fast). Be sure to select "Always on Top" in the Options menu as well so you can see the graph. You can also do the same thing with CPU selected. If your % utilization on either of these is hitting 100%, you probably need a video card upgrade (assuming you do not have a laptop). I had a similar problem with 4K videos, but a modestly price, middle of the road AMD RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC fixed everything. I only paid about $125, but I see the card has gone up in price. You do not need a high end gaming card. If you do buy a high power video card, you have to be sure your power supply is big enough to run it.
MAC
Bellingham, WA USA