To use or not to use Full Video Acceleration

General discussion of the ride videos.
rkoch615

To use or not to use Full Video Acceleration

Post by rkoch615 »

I've been trying to figure out which gives the best video results and it appears the answer is both. I just purchased a new computer with a great video card and 8 core processor. I've been looking at the "Partial" and "Full" settings in the performance section of your software and it appears that "partial" works best on older videos and "Full" works best on the newer videos. Is there a "best" setting between full and partial for new verses old videos or do I just need to jump back and forth between the two depending on the age of the video?
admin
Site Admin

Re: To use or not to use Full Video Acceleration

Post by admin »

There is no "between".

Full video acceleration decodes most video elements directly on graphics card so leaving CPU free to do the other task. On my very decent but not really high end development machine it consumes less then 1% CPU while decoding 4K videos.

Partial does some stuff on GPU but most of the things are happening on CPU.

As for results, they depend on system codecs (some of those are part of OS and some are vendor written code that executes on graphic card) and on how the video was encoded originally. In my case except single video I do not really see a difference in decoding quality/behavior between full/partial acceleration other then virtually non existing CPU consumption in case of "Full Acceleration" disregarding of whether it was older or newer video.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
rkoch615

Re: To use or not to use Full Video Acceleration

Post by rkoch615 »

Thanks for the insight into Full/Partial. I was wondering what the difference was. It's probably just my eye, but the newer videos seem much smoother than the older videos in Full Acceleration. Bottom line, they're all Great!