Was a new filming vehicle used for 0073_ES-Almeria?

General discussion of the ride videos.
rncrowhurst

Was a new filming vehicle used for 0073_ES-Almeria?

Post by rncrowhurst »

I just rode the newly released 0073_ES-AlmeriaCoastRoad today and was impressed by what appears to be a slight difference in what I thought was the point of view of the camera. The camera seemed to be mounted in such a way as to give a closer point of view to the right hand side of the road - almost where a cyclist would naturally ride. But then I thought it is not the positioning of the cmaera but more likely a new filming vehicle that is being used - one that is narrower and more able to enter the same zone occupied by cyclists on the road.

The cars passing did not have to cross the center line to pass the filming vehicle, there was one stretch where drainage grates were on the side of the road and I though "wait for it we are going to see a dump from the film vehicle's front wheel going into the depression round the grates" as the line of vehicles passed but no bump so the film vehicle must be really narrow. The dump from street wide speed humps were also much less noticeable.

So when cars passed they acted more like they were passing a motor bike, scooter, ebike or cyclist not a car and this seemed noticeably difference. On up hills a a car pulled out of side roads just like it would if a bike was coming up slowly where as they would have waited if it was a car coming.

Then there was the bike lane - now that was cool - where the filming vehicle left the road and traveled down the bike lane with cyclists coming the other way - again suggesting the filming was done from a narrow vehicle like a scooter perhaps. When coming up on cyclists from behind it definitely felt like approaching them more on a bike than a wider vehicle. Lastly there was a woman periodically showing up taking photos of the filming vehicle as it passed - gave me the impression that this was something new she was capturing photos of perhaps.

So I was wondering if a new, narrower filming vehicle was used for the Almeria filming? If so then definitely gets the thumbs up!
VeloReality Video

Re: Was a new filming vehicle used for 0073_ES-Almeria?

Post by VeloReality Video »

rncrowhurst wrote:I just rode the newly released 0073_ES-AlmeriaCoastRoad today and was impressed by what appears to be a slight difference in what I thought was the point of view of the camera. The camera seemed to be mounted in such a way as to give a closer point of view to the right hand side of the road - almost where a cyclist would naturally ride. But then I thought it is not the positioning of the cmaera but more likely a new filming vehicle that is being used - one that is narrower and more able to enter the same zone occupied by cyclists on the road.

The cars passing did not have to cross the center line to pass the filming vehicle, there was one stretch where drainage grates were on the side of the road and I though "wait for it we are going to see a dump from the film vehicle's front wheel going into the depression round the grates" as the line of vehicles passed but no bump so the film vehicle must be really narrow. The dump from street wide speed humps were also much less noticeable.

So when cars passed they acted more like they were passing a motor bike, scooter, ebike or cyclist not a car and this seemed noticeably difference. On up hills a a car pulled out of side roads just like it would if a bike was coming up slowly where as they would have waited if it was a car coming.

Then there was the bike lane - now that was cool - where the filming vehicle left the road and traveled down the bike lane with cyclists coming the other way - again suggesting the filming was done from a narrow vehicle like a scooter perhaps. When coming up on cyclists from behind it definitely felt like approaching them more on a bike than a wider vehicle. Lastly there was a woman periodically showing up taking photos of the filming vehicle as it passed - gave me the impression that this was something new she was capturing photos of perhaps.

So I was wondering if a new, narrower filming vehicle was used for the Almeria filming? If so then definitely gets the thumbs up!
Thats good to hear, I was worried as its something a little new, by this spring the camera will lean gently into the corners & there should be even less movement. The camera will also track the corners much better...so overall it will be much better then filming from the roadster or van

Its a special filming bike your right! Built it special to take the same cinema camera kit we use with the car based films..
rgurney

Post by rgurney »

Is this ride available yet? Don't see it in the web store.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rgurney wrote:Is this ride available yet? Don't see it in the web store.
Released now.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
rncrowhurst

Post by rncrowhurst »

VeloReality Video wrote: Thats good to hear, I was worried as its something a little new, by this spring the camera will lean gently into the corners & there should be even less movement. The camera will also track the corners much better...so overall it will be as close to real as you can get.

Its a special filming bike your right! Built it special to take the same cinema camera kit we use with the car based films..

Knew it had to be a bike :D

Really liked the new POV of the Almeria filming so will be looking forward to movies you produce with your new kit and its future modifications. The changes you are planning on cornering will be significant for increasing ride "feel".

That new bike of yours is going to open up so many more possibilities for filming rides - looking forward to more rides you produce on it. It opens up the possibility to film on the converted rail lines like the green ways round Beaune, Chalon Sur Saone to Macon for example which a car definitely can not access but make for very picturesque rides. Also being smaller I expect you are going to reduce the occasional hold ups the car experiences on narrow roads in the villages.

Can't wait for the first ride movie where you decide to jump the curve (actually that sort of happened in Almeria where you crossed a road and median island using the bike/walk way).
VeloReality Video

rncrowhurst wrote:
VeloReality Video wrote: Thats good to hear, I was worried as its something a little new, by this spring the camera will lean gently into the corners & there should be even less movement. The camera will also track the corners much better...so overall it will be as close to real as you can get.

Knew it had to be a bike :D

Really liked the new POV of the Almeria filming so will be looking forward to movies you produce with your new kit and its future modifications. The changes you are planning on cornering will be significant for increasing ride "feel".

That new bike of yours is going to open up so many more possibilities for filming rides - looking forward to more rides you produce on it. It opens up the possibility to film on the converted rail lines like the green ways round Beaune, Chalon Sur Saone to Macon for example which a car definitely can not access but make for very picturesque rides. Also being smaller I expect you are going to reduce the occasional hold ups the car experiences on narrow roads in the villages.

Can't wait for the first ride movie where you decide to jump the curve (actually that sort of happened in Almeria where you crossed a road and median island using the bike/walk way).

You have highlighted many of the reasons for having it, at least here in Europe it makes complete sense (many very narrow roads, many places closed to cars like Citys & old rail lines, river tow paths etc), Its been a dream to finally film again outside the car which we have been locked into for the last 13 years.. Ive toyed with filming from Mopeds & even a BMW GX 1200 (way too much shake). There were films in the Tacx collection from these (a ride with the US national Junior team & a MTB ride in the Ardennes). But its other factors like logistics of getting all the kit needed to a location etc. I think we have finally nailed the perfect solution for us. & this will get much better over time as we make mistakes & learn. The main thing is that its the very same camera & lens we use with the car filmed rides so image quality is the same...its not horrible 8bit GoPro.

We have filmed a fair bit about Beaune, its a really good spot to stop on the way back from the Alps, Provence or Italy as there is always some quality food to be had there...its then a nice 5hr drive back to Flanders the following morning! We have one ride in the Veloreality collection that starts just outside the town. So for sure we will return & focus on a nice flatter ride along the vinyards towards Dijon. Its just a matter of time as it happens to be one of those places we always visit every year.

Im working right now on a climb film "Port de Tudons" which was filmed the same way, has a wonderful start next to the sea with traditional spanish fishermans houses all painted in different colours...climb features a bit of a race with a cyclist thats obviously new to the game, he takes the bait & attacks ... you will have to ride it to see how long the poor guy lasts! rest of the climb is fairly uneventful...its one I remember riding when I was 18years old on a training camp, its well known to most pro riders that have their January training camps in Calpe.

here is a frame shot from the village at the start http://goo.gl/lZGpXK
rncrowhurst

Post by rncrowhurst »

VeloReality Video wrote:
Im working right now on a climb film "Port de Tudons" which was filmed the same way, has a wonderful start next to the sea with traditional spanish fishermans houses all painted in different colours...climb features a bit of a race with a cyclist thats obviously new to the game, he takes the bait & attacks ... you will have to ride it to see how long the poor guy lasts! rest of the climb is fairly uneventful...its one I remember riding when I was 18years old on a training camp, its well known to most pro riders that have their January training camps in Calpe.

here is a frame shot from the village at the start http://goo.gl/lZGpXK
Thanks for posting the like to the photo. Looks very nice. I am look forward to the release of your Port de Tudons climb movie.
andy101

Post by andy101 »

I'm just getting this one and will plan on riding it tomorrow morning starting somewhere between 1000 and 1100 UK time if others are around :-)
VeloReality Video

Should be two more new rides filmed with the filming bike out in the next week. Last week we have replaced part of the electronic stabilization kit & I hope to start testing that out this week also.

Next month we will be heading to Italy with it & a whole new camera hopefully..
rncrowhurst

Post by rncrowhurst »

VeloReality Video wrote:Should be two more new rides filmed with the filming bike out in the next week. Last week we have replaced part of the electronic stabilization kit & I hope to start testing that out this week also.

Next month we will be heading to Italy with it & a whole new camera hopefully..
0075_ES-Porto-de-Tudons is also a nice movie to ride to. There is quite a difference in the new movies on the bike going over speed humps compared to movies shot from your previous vehicle. Now speed humps are hardly noticeable. Movie display when cornering also seems more stable and realistic. In 0075_ES-Porto-de-Tudons the guy you pass who then attacks is interesting - he looks to be wearing running shoes on his road bike (? maybe mountain bike shoes).

Overall from buying and riding Almeria and Tudons I just wanted to say I like your new style of filming from your bike!