Paterburg & Utah - first use notes

General discussion of the ride videos.
ghetto

Re: Paterburg & Utah - first use notes

Post by ghetto »

Yes in the Video Player.

The app in test mode seems to be around 150w, I tend to average just a little more, I'll ride it when I can.

I see no strobe effect in the external player.

Anyway it's a beautiful film in itself, congratulations.
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

ghetto wrote:Ventoux 1 looks very beautifully filmed, I could just sit and watch it as 'slow tv' without riding. You picked the perfect season. Well done.

It looks pretty fast for me, though I've not ridden it yet.

Does the download have the same frame rate as your master film?

What's the pixellation just before 1hr 29m, after the memorial?
Oh it was a Tacx RLV fan from Switzerland that had spotted me filming back when I was making this original film collection a bit undercover, I should really render out a new version with the poor guy returned. Thanks for the compliments its nice hear at least someone else loves it as I do! Part 3 is to me even nicer, with a lot of Autumn leaves that had somehow managed to remain on the trees through the winter which was the one with the record snow falls.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

ghetto wrote:Yes in the Video Player.

The app in test mode seems to be around 150w, I tend to average just a little more, I'll ride it when I can.

I see no strobe effect in the external player.

Anyway it's a beautiful film in itself, congratulations.
I think the FTP setting is used to show the video in test mode, is your FTP setting around 150?
ghetto

Post by ghetto »

VeloReality Video wrote:Oh it was a Tacx RLV fan from Switzerland that had spotted me filming back when I was making this original film collection a bit undercover, I should really render out a new version with the poor guy returned. Thanks for the compliments its nice hear at least someone else loves it as I do! Part 3 is to me even nicer, with a lot of Autumn leaves that had somehow managed to remain on the trees through the winter which was the one with the record snow falls.
Haha, undercover filming.

Yeah set him free!

One thing that would be nice on corners would be a horizontal pan so the camera looks where a rider would look. I find on the Paterburg DH corner I have to look away from the screen to keep my balance!
Last edited by ghetto on Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghetto

Post by ghetto »

Dennis wrote:
I think the FTP setting is used to show the video in test mode, is your FTP setting around 150?
Ah good info. It'll be whatever the default is, I didn't set it yet.
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

ghetto wrote:
One thing that would be nice on corners would be a horizontal pan so the camera looks where a rider would look. I find on the Paterburg DH corner I have to look away from the screen to keep my balance!
its the downside of filming with a high quality camera is the weight & size of it needs a car (we film from a very small sports roadster) towards the end of the year I managed to get all this kit onto a special custom built Ebike with some expensive stabilization & the video will now lean into the corners for rides made with it. Most of the time its the width of the road that effects the corner view & also the angle of view of the lens. A wide angle & you can see round the corner as in real life...but then you lose the realistic size of objects like a distant mountain or a change in grade that make a ride feel realistic which you get with a more narrow lens...moving the camera round corners is something I experimented with in early Tacx films (2005 ish), its a lot of bother & looks really artificial..This will improve anyway, will try to film anything with narrow twisty roads with the special bike or a wider angle lense!
rgurney

Post by rgurney »

Appreciate all the special effort you go to to make such great video rides. The best out there by far :D
ghetto

Post by ghetto »

@VR before you switch to a bike mounted camera, a couple of things I like about the car are that the horizon remains horizontal (I think it would be weird to have the camera tilt, bike style, while the bike I am on remains locked vertical) and the view is in the middle of the lane too, which gives the best experience and also saves my rider-brain from looking ahead for drains, holes etc if I was riding at the road side.

I love the funny little coincidental details in the films, another example is the dog that runs out in front of the camera a few km in to Ventoux 1. They add charm and actually a little idiosyncratic realism.

& riding up to the roadworks near the start of Ven 1, I instinctively come off the gas expecting to roll to a stop behind the waiting car. Can't stop myself. haha.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ghetto wrote:..I love the funny little coincidental details in the films, another example is the dog that runs out in front of the camera a few km in to Ventoux ...
That is a friggin cat. First time I saw it i hit the brakes
VeloReality Forum Administrator