Downloading vids

General discussion of the ride videos.
bauer

Re: Downloading vids

Post by bauer »

Correct. It's been on an as requested basis. If folks are experiencing download issue from our S3 site we've been doing working around that in one of two ways:
1) an invoice via PayPal, 90USD+10USD postage or 125CAD+14CADpostage, gets you a 1 TB drive with 100 videos
2) another scenario some folks have a few+ rides already as singles...then have issues with downloads, and on request, with the purchase of a 20 ride bundle at 169EU, we sometimes also ship out a drive, on the premise that with 20-25 videos, and a drive, that customer will add more rides, and already have the media in place.

Occurrence so far has been limited to 10-12 cases. If there's more interest in this product, we can look to add it as an SKU.
open to input on this
g_gryphon

Post by g_gryphon »

Something needs to be done about the download speeds. I previously purchased a 20-ride pack last fall and it took the better part of two weeks to download all of the files. I was hoping that that was a one-off situation, so I purchased another 20 rides today thinking I would get them all downloaded this weekend. I was overly optimistic on that front. Upon my first download attempt, I was managing around 590-600 KB/s on an internet connection that I just speed tested at 23 MB/s. Then, of course, my file hung up at around the 1 GB point. So frustrating.

I love the product, but I really feel that if you are going to be in the business of selling files this large for download, you have to have the server capability to provide a good, or at least adequate, customer experience.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

g_gryphon wrote:Something needs to be done about the download speeds. I previously purchased a 20-ride pack last fall and it took the better part of two weeks to download all of the files. I was hoping that that was a one-off situation, so I purchased another 20 rides today thinking I would get them all downloaded this weekend. I was overly optimistic on that front. Upon my first download attempt, I was managing around 590-600 KB/s on an internet connection that I just speed tested at 23 MB/s. Then, of course, my file hung up at around the 1 GB point. So frustrating.

I love the product, but I really feel that if you are going to be in the business of selling files this large for download, you have to have the server capability to provide a good, or at least adequate, customer experience.
If your downloads hang you might try one of the download managers such as: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ . That is what I use for example. We keep our files at Amazon S3. I have 30MB/s connection and it downloads files in few minutes from either North American or European servers. Some customers however do have this ridiculous situation with slow downloads and it happens disregarding of their location. Why it is a mystery.We will try to investigate. What can we do with Amazon I am not sure. As Gary already mentioned in the message above your post you have other options for case of slow downloads. Just ask. One thing you might want to do is to install
VeloReality Forum Administrator
g_gryphon

Post by g_gryphon »

admin wrote: We keep our files at Amazon S3. I have 30MB/s connection and it downloads files in few minutes from either North American or European servers. Some customers however do have this ridiculous situation with slow downloads and it happens disregarding of their location. Why it is a mystery.We will try to investigate. What can we do with Amazon I am not sure.
I agree, it is a mystery as to why you achieve such a high download rate and others, such as myself, do not. Perhaps Amazon could shed some light on that situation. Is VR paying for a tier of service that is artificially affecting download capability?

I also appreciate that other options have been presented in this thread but those don't seem to be sustainable for the long-term. I imagine that neither your customers nor VR will want to absorb the cost of the hardware. I do have to say that this morning so far, I've been able to sustain a 2.3-2.5 MB/s download speed, so that at least reduces my file download time to 30 minutes on average. That's a tolerable situation, so I'd rather do that than deal with paying for a particular hard drive that I might not otherwise want.

Thank you for your attention to this situation.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Perhaps Amazon could shed some light on that situation.

Amazon does not care and does not help. We are too small of a fish and they also point that the majority of downloads are happening at normal speed.

Is VR paying for a tier of service that is artificially affecting download capability?

No. we pay for normal service. That one does not have tiers.

I also appreciate that other options have been presented in this thread but those don't seem to be sustainable for the long-term. I imagine that neither your customers nor VR will want to absorb the cost of the hardware.

If you carefully read what was written in select cases we are giving away hard drive with all the videos for persons who are buying a 20 rides bundle. The idea is that they will buy more videos later anyways and will not need to download those. Instant satisfaction. This option is not automatic. For now sales decide what to do. Also I did not check your location but in North America cost of 1TB/2TB hard drives is falling down through the floor and many would like to have one as backup anyways. Your main hard drive WILL fail anyways at some point, that's a given.

In any ways we are actively looking for solutions and over the time will figure something out.

I do have to say that this morning so far, I've been able to sustain a 2.3-2.5 MB/s download speed, so that at least reduces my file download time to 30 minutes on average. That's a tolerable situation, so I'd rather do that than deal with paying for a particular hard drive that I might not otherwise want.

Thank you for your attention to this situation.

My pleasure.
VeloReality Forum Administrator