Avatar Segments for Potash Road?

General discussion of the ride videos.
Mighty Malc

Avatar Segments for Potash Road?

Post by Mighty Malc »

Hi, I have just ridden this new video and love the rocky scenery. Gorgeous.
Most of the course is pretty flat and just what I want to improve my flat-course time trialling, hopefully with an avatar to provide completion and motivate me to beat my previous best.
At the moment it does not seem to have any avatar segments (or maybe there is just one avatar segment covering part of the ride - not sure if this actually is an avatar segment or just happens to be yellow).

I would very much like some avatar segments to be added, to make it like the other videos.
And if one happened to be about 10 miles (16 km) and another was 25 miles (40 km) that would be great for me personally :)
But if not that distance, a few more would improve the experience dramatically.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Avatar Segments for Potash Road?

Post by admin »

Coming very soon, not later then tomorrow. Just agree to update when the software informs you bout updates available.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Done. New rides (SKU > 99) now have 10km,10mi and 25mi segments as well as full length and some KOM
Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

I see you have supplied several segments of each type, which gives lots of choice - that's fantastic!

And Gaspe videos that I own (which all have SKU > 99) have been improved the same way. More than I asked for. Excellent.

One very happy customer here - thank you. :) :) :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mighty Malc wrote:...One very happy customer here - thank you. :) :) :)
Not all sunny in there. There was a small bug in it which is fixed by now in v1.5.0.15. If you've managed to ride new stuff before that version segment performance data will not propagate to new version. But you'll get it back very fast, just ride more ;)
Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

Too many circles due to overlapping segments?

Actually, I have been thinking a bit more about your generosity with lots of overlapping 10 km, 10 mile, 25 mile segments.
I believe the avatars give you display circles for the best 5 performances on a segment (could be wrong about 5 - sure you know).
The 25 mile avatar segment overlaps some 10 mile avatar segments and some 10 km avatar segments. In fact the way it is laid out you start a 25m and a10m and a 10 km segment simultaneously.
So when I have completed 5 goes on the 25m segment I will necessarily have had 5 goes on the overlapping 10m segment and 5 on the overlapping 10 km segment.
Does this mean I will have 15 circles next time I start the overlapping segment? If so I am worried that is too many circles and confusing.

If it is too many, I guess the alternatives are either not to be so generous in overlapping segments, or to be able to configure the display on/off individually for 25m/10m/10km/kom segments, depending on what distance I want to compete against.

Turning on/off individually sounds like hard work to program when different videos have different segment lengths.

Am I being over anxious, and 15 circles (25 if you include KOM and full ride?) is actually going to be ok? (I have not done enough avatar segment rides to find out yet!)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Too many circles due to overlapping segments?

I am going to be issuing an update in an hour or so. I am thinking of removing Avatars for your previous performances. Those little icons on profiles will do. Avatars will be only available when you are facing real rider. Otherwise yes too much of a clutter for no real benefit. Your previous performances do not know about your current one and do not react ;)

I believe the avatars give you display circles for the best 5 performances on a segment

Yup. And with this update I am changing the logic of what performances are kept.

In fact the way it is laid out you start a 25m and a10m and a 10 km segment simultaneously.

I am not sure if you got latest update (always let software do that) but at the moment segments do not start at the same distances. There is a little shift in order to avoid clutter. At least on SKUs 100 and higher. Will check other ones later.

If so I am worried that is too many circles and confusing.

As already mentioned circles will be gone in the update. Since you are so interested in all this previous performance things may I ask you to get online on Skype so we can quickly go over your suggestions. my Skype id is poukhov_kostya
Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

I am afraid I don't have Skype. So a few thoughts...

Really really don't want to lose onscreen feedback of a previous performance, I so want to visually race a previous performance = a great way to improve!
Hence my initial reaction is horror you are thinking of taking it away - prefer a cluttered display (for a while until different performances separate) to no display.

Reducing 5 best performances to say 2 per segment would dramatically reduce the clutter- or better still have it configurable from 0 (off) to 5 (the number-of-avatars-shown-per-segment could replace the current on/off in the GUI).

Note I was just guessing segments started exactly together by looking at the compressed profile view on the right - if slightly staggered that helps. Good.

I was interpreting an avatar segment as (a) circles on the video for each performance and (b) triangles at the bottom of the gradient profile, behind your position or in front of it depending on where they are.
Both (a) and (b) are nice. (a) makes me aggressive as I chase him down like on the road :mrgreen: . (b) lets me see what is behind me and gives me a proper distance scale when circles (a) are cluttered.
Are the triangles (b) shown (or could they be) on each overlapping segment say 10m TT coloured segment and 25m TT coloured segment so you can tell which ones are relevant when doing a 25m TT? (I seem to remember they all get shown on the same line at the bottom, rather than on the relevant coloured segment, but I could be wrong). Having the triangles vertically separated above each other on different relevant segments would help resolve clutter.

My ideas. A mixture of the above might be the best answer - but whatever you do please don't take away my visual indication of a previous best performance!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am afraid I don't have Skype.

Skype is easy to install and as I understand it is available for every platform. Email/forum exchange is slow, non interactive and prone to misinterpretation. It takes away way more of my time that can be better spent doing something new comparatively to a short chat.

Really really don't want to lose onscreen feedback of a previous performance,

You are not loosing it. You still have triangles/icons on both profiles,

I so want to visually race a previous performance = a great way to improve!

With triangles you still have your visual feedback.

Reducing 5 best performances to say 2 per segment would dramatically reduce the clutter- or better still have it configurable from 0 (off) to 5 (the number-of-avatars-shown-per-segment could replace the current on/off in the GUI).

If you reduce to 2 then there is not enough to choose from for chasing depending on your today's state. I ride a lot on a trainer and know it from experience. 5 is sort of optimal. Having it configurable gives me shivers. Every time I give more freedom to users I am being punished by "but you did not tell me that I could do this/that" or "your on screen array of options is just too much". And nobody reads a friggin user guide. So what am I to do? One wants an airplane cockpit and the other wants single button with "make everything cool" caption. I can't please everyone.

Note I was just guessing segments started exactly together by looking at the compressed profile view on the right - if slightly staggered that helps. Good.

On left profile (active during riding) tie visual separation is more then enough

I was interpreting an avatar segment as (a) circles on the video for each performance and (b) triangles at the bottom of the gradient profile, behind your position or in front of it depending on where they are.
Both (a) and (b) are nice. (a) makes me aggressive as I chase him down like on the road :mrgreen: . (b) lets me see what is behind me and gives me a proper distance scale when circles (a) are cluttered.

...they all get shown on the same line at the bottom, rather than on the relevant coloured segment, but I could be wrong...

Yes you are wrong They're separated by vertical position and they have color that sorrespond to the color of segment.

but whatever you do please don't take away my visual indication of a previous best performance!!!

I was only gonna take away circles. Triangles/Icons will stay. So get on Skype and try to convince me to keep circles when in reality that feature is reserved for live competitors who look like this
only with nick names instead of numbers and soon some live data to be added as well:

Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

No camera or microphone on my desktop so not convinced Skype adds a lot. I'll keep this short here so you can do valuable things for us :lol:

Triangles/icons as shown are excellent and meet my needs. Thanks for keeping them.

Circles are very nice when there are just a few, so screen is not too cluttered.
But OK if you decide best to drop the circles because hardwired 5 per segment and overlapping segments means too many of them.

Many thanks for taking the time to listen to me and to reply in detail.