Multiplayer test discussion

Get answers to question about the software.
VeloReality Video

Multiplayer test discussion

Post by VeloReality Video »

last night (for me in EU) I was able to ride for the 1st time with Kostya the developer & Deb from this forum (I think both from the other side of the Atlantic) all in the same ride (I think it was the Col Agnel 0019_FR-QueyrasRoute_2) I think it was a little bit of history being made spanning two continents with such an incredibly easy to use multiplayer...No lobbys no messing about with lan settings etc...just turn up at a location & ride with some friends! There are still some gremlins & we lost Deb after some miles even though she was still riding, the latest update should fix this. But really try if you can to get online & if you see a Phil or Kostya sprinting past you repeatedly do not worry! But please let either of know what you see, the quality of your internet etc. Kostya & me both had Skype video streaming while riding, This worked great although it caused some slight skips, switching to audio only solved that.

Anyway riding with a friend or friends adds a whole new dimension especially if you can chat about the terrain & hear some suffering going on!

For me a lot of the rides made this year were made with limited time & Ive only just had the time to actually ride & experience the newer routes.....0040_FR-Cols-dIRATY has one awesome 10km warm up, easy rolling hills & a fantastic view! ;)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Multiplayer test discussion

Post by admin »

Updated again. Fixed issues with display of number of riders in list of videos and added ability for beta to self update
please download from following location:

http://veloreality.com/exs_v_ride/beta/software.zip
VeloReality Forum Administrator
aaslundg

Post by aaslundg »

Multiplayer is an exciting option. Suddenly when riding Alpe d'Huez today Kostya appeared 5 meters in front of me. Was riding with him for some hundred meters, before he disappeared.
I also like the avatar function, but it would have been nice to see how far in front or behind you are by a number, in addition to the existing view ( looks like it is about 1 minute that is displayed in front and behind of you). Something like the list in Zwift would have been nice, (but not time ahead like they calculate it there, it should be based on the time since the rider passed a fixed position)

Another feature that would be nice is to be able to reset the time (or set a new lap). When I ride the Alpe D'huez I usually do a warmup some km before the climb, and it would be nice to be able to reset the timing at the bottom of the climb. I know that it is possible to create a new ride.

A small map like the one you have in your web page would be nice, either just the road with a marker of where you are at the moment or something like veloviewer: http://veloviewer.com/segments/7435094/

Is it possible to create avatars from existing gpx tracks? Could also be nice to import predefined avatars, like 75 kg/200 watts , 75 kg/250 watts etc and ride against them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

aaslundg wrote:...but it would have been nice to see how far in front or behind you are by a number
Short profile in top left corner shows 100m behind and 100 meters in front. You also have some moving translucent markers spaced 10 m apart in there.
aaslundg wrote:Another feature that would be nice is to be able to reset the time (or set a new lap). When I ride the Alpe D'huez I usually do a warmup some km before the climb, and it would be nice to be able to reset the timing at the bottom of the climb. I know that it is possible to create a new ride.
Something like this is coming,
aaslundg wrote:A small map like the one you have in your web page would be nice, either just the road with a marker of where you are at the moment or something like veloviewer: http://veloviewer.com/segments/7435094/
I have to think about this feature. In ZWift for example there is so much info on the screen that you do not really see the graphics itself. I do not really want to get into the same situation with our videos.
aaslundg wrote:Is it possible to create avatars from existing gpx tracks? Could also be nice to import predefined avatars, like 75 kg/200 watts , 75 kg/250 watts etc and ride against them.
It will come at some point.
aaslundg

Post by aaslundg »

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you that it is important to keep the UI as simple as possible. I also appreciated that today, it is the video and realistic climbing experience that is important in your application.
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

aaslundg wrote:Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you that it is important to keep the UI as simple as possible. I also appreciated that today, it is the video and realistic climbing experience that is important in your application.
Great that some riders are starting to see other riders out on the road!

We have marked under each hill & mountain a segment (will be a coloured bar) eventually the idea is to display your time & that of others on the segment & possibly also your position but as Kostya said we need to do this in a way that does not clutter the display..How to do this needs some thought. But it will for sure make the segments much more important, they will not be just a bar but become actual mini races such you would have out on club Sunday ride!

Each segment actually is already named in the software data, eventually you will even know what climb or hill you are on also ;)

Keep the ideas coming!
glepore

Post by glepore »

Don't "over-Stravafy" it. I for one don't want KOM's etc-it's ok if you track them, as I'm sure others do want them, but I don't need them cluttering the display. On a separate screen perhaps?

This development is awesome, btw. Totally superior to what Tour D'Giro, zwift etc are doing. What you need is some way to advertise rides-ie-group ride on Flanders course at xxxGMT. A subforum to do that maybe?

Also, as an aside, the main website needs a forums link.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

glepore wrote:Don't "over-Stravafy" it. I for one don't want KOM's etc-it's ok if you track them, as I'm sure others do want them, but I don't need them cluttering the display. On a separate screen perhaps?
This development is awesome, btw. Totally superior to what Tour D'Giro, zwift etc are doing. What you need is some way to advertise rides-ie-group ride on Flanders course at xxxGMT. A subforum to do that maybe?
Also, as an aside, the main website needs a forums link.
Thanks for your suggestions. My idea is in fact to not clutter screen with all that real time stuff. As for races/grouprides I am thinking of creating a separate server where one can register/join race/ride. Then before the race starts you go and start riding (for warm up for example) and once the race clock starts you will be teleported to a starting point of race. Performance against that particular race will be recourded and submitted to that race server for everyone to laugh at ;)

As for "website needs a forum link" - LOL it is there and called "FORUM". Right in the top menu. I guess I should make it really stand out ;)
glepore

Post by glepore »

As for "website needs a forum link" - LOL it is there and called "FORUM". Right in the top menu. I guess I should make it really stand out
Duh. Shouldn't post in a depleted state...sorry :D

The separate server idea is exactly on, assuming its in the budget. Tour d'Giro does something similar, you log on, and can spin or whatever until around 10 sec before start, and then you're at the start line.

Distance to/from others could be toggleable-like the pacers perhaps.

Haven't played with it much yet, is there a draft in the wattage/speed algorithim?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

glepore wrote:
As for "website needs a forum link" - LOL it is there and called "FORUM". Right in the top menu. I guess I should make it really stand out
Duh. Shouldn't post in a depleted state...sorry :D
The separate server idea is exactly on, assuming its in the budget. Tour d'Giro does something similar, you log on, and can spin or whatever until around 10 sec before start, and then you're at the start line.
Distance to/from others could be toggleable-like the pacers perhaps.
Haven't played with it much yet, is there a draft in the wattage/speed algorithim?
1) Separate server is more like a registration server and to keep browse results. The game server stays the same as the one we have now. Since registration server is not needed to be super-duper performance beast there is no budget hit other then the development/maintenance expenses.

2) Distance to riders can be easily eyeballed by just looking at top profiles that also show riders. No need for numbers there. Had I implemented display of every number I was asked you would have no screen space left for video. Making display configurable is an option but it is not in our top priority list now. We have a bit more exciting features to finish off first.

3) There is no drafting at the moment. It is all nice and dandy in theory and it works like sh..t in practice due to network lags. I will enable it when I find some good enough approach.