Feature suggestion: Elevation display

Get answers to question about the software.
Deb

Feature suggestion: Elevation display

Post by Deb »

It's great that you publish the maps for each ride. I enjoy previewing them ahead of time and seeing where I'm going to be "riding".

It would be nice to add a display of both current elevation and total elevation gained during a ride. It would also be interesting if it would be possible to superimpose a compass needle on the display to indicate current direction so you could even more easily visualize your location on the video as it maps to reality.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature suggestion: Elevation display

Post by admin »

Deb wrote:It's great that you publish the maps for each ride. I enjoy previewing them ahead of time and seeing where I'm going to be "riding".

It would be nice to add a display of both current elevation and total elevation gained during a ride. It would also be interesting if it would be possible to superimpose a compass needle on the display to indicate current direction so you could even more easily visualize your location on the video as it maps to reality.
Goes to a future enhancements pile ;)
VeloReality Forum Administrator
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Deb wrote:It's great that you publish the maps for each ride. I enjoy previewing them ahead of time and seeing where I'm going to be "riding".

Maps are my 1st love, the thing that got me into cycling as a 11 year old!

Elevation gain is a great point, I think it could even take a step further as unlike a standard bike computer we already know where your going, what climb you are on, how far to the top of the climb, how many meters to climb you still have to do on the climb your on & how many meters to climb are left of the profile your riding ! This is really the info you want to know if your on a climb....as well as the meters you have already done....if you had to pick one from all of these what would it be? for me after riding the Zoncolan this week it would be the meters until the top of the climb ;)
Deb

Post by Deb »

Yep, I still remember a set of lessons on maps in the 4th grade that I thought was great fun. Nothing motivates me more than the chance to bike down a road that I've never traveled before - in real life or even on the trainer.

I hadn't thought of showing elevation remaining, but it's a great idea. If you had a countdown display of elevation remaining, I would also want to see distance remaining.

Keeping it uncluttered will be a problem. A nice goal might be to eventually have a user-definable display. Say you have maybe 8-10 positions on screen, and a user can choose what they want in each one of those positions. For example, I don't currently have a heart rate monitor adapter, so the BPM position is wasted space. I'd love to be able to select something else to display there. Other people may have other preferences and priorities, so the best solution would be to let everyone choose for themselves.

My personal priority order would be
1) Elevation gained
2) Distance remaining in the entire ride
3) Compass heading -- I don't know how many people care, that could be just me. :D
4) Elevation remaining in the entire ride
5) Remaining distance / elevation in the current climb
6) Current elevation
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Deb wrote:...1) Elevation gained...
This particular one is Pandora box. Can I please have universal, recognizable by authorities definition of what constitutes hill? How many uninterrupted meters at what grade? And as soon as I calculate it I'll have customers with their own Gramins having it at my throat telling me something in line of: "... but, but my device showed me different value in real life ..."
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

admin wrote:
This particular one is Pandora box. Can I please have universal, recognizable by authorities definition of what constitutes hill? How many uninterrupted meters at what grade? And as soon as I calculate it I'll have customers with their own Gramins having it at my throat telling me something in line of: "... but, but my device showed me different value in real life ..."
I guess the way you did it in the ride menu would be cool ;)
Deb

Post by Deb »

admin wrote:
Undeniably true, yet most tools go ahead and take their own stab at it, and yes, they are all different.

Purely coincidentally, I was looking at PerfPro Studio and saw this in their FAQ
http://perfprostudio.com/FAQs.aspx?F=19

Just acknowledge the challenge and suggest people not stress so much. :D

If you make sure that your calculation is on the high end, then they will be going back to Garmin to complain that the Garmin isn't giving them the full credit for the climb instead of complaining to you. ;) [Just kidding... mostly.]
dougleybourne

Post by dougleybourne »

Hi Deb

Do you really need to know this, you can see the profile and the various colours signifying grades (no good for me since I am colour blind!). After all if you were riding in real life you would not have this information. You would probably have checked the profile (Climb By Bike or similar) and just kept that in mind. I do agree of course that many cols in France have grades marked every kilometre, but not everywhere.

On my first attempt at multi riding I dropped myself in front of you, you promptly passed me and, try as I might, you got further and further away.

Phil was very kind to me as we ride together, it was a great experience, the ride was one of the new ones in the Vercors, if you have not yet bought it I strongly recommend it. The Vercors are a great place to ride in "Real Life" and I am enjoying revisiting places that I have previously seen. Same applies to a lot of the rides.

I will be on the lookout for you again. Cheers Doug
Deb

Post by Deb »

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply.
dougleybourne wrote:After all if you were riding in real life you would not have this information.
Ah, not so. I ride with a GPS unit. On long climbs I don't look much at speed (which is slow) and keep an eye on the elevation to get encouragement that I am actually making progress.
dougleybourne wrote:On my first attempt at multi riding I dropped myself in front of you, you promptly passed me and, try as I might, you got further and further away.
I saw you drop in, but then after I went by you disappeared from the profile display so I assumed you had left the video. I think that was an earlier beta release, so that's probably better now.
dougleybourne wrote:... the ride was one of the new ones in the Vercors, if you have not yet bought it I strongly recommend it.
I look forward to trying out a number of the "new" courses like Vercors. When I discovered VeloReality in mid December 2014 they had a package deal on 30 videos so I set a goal to ride those 30 plus the one that I'd bought as a test run before the end of March 2015 (the theoretical start of decent outdoor riding season here in Wisconsin in the US). I've finished 18 so far plus parts of a couple more, so I've still got some riding to do before I can treat myself to the next set of videos. :)
dougleybourne wrote:The Vercors are a great place to ride in "Real Life" and I am enjoying revisiting places that I have previously seen. Same applies to a lot of the rides.
I've done very little riding in Europe, so for me these are all new. I'm finally getting a practical education in the geography of Western Europe. :)

Looking forward to seeing you again "on the road".
Deb
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Deb wrote:...ride with a GPS unit. On long climbs I don't look much at speed (which is slow) and keep an eye on the elevation to get encouragement that I am actually making progress...
Deb
My personal experience: I ride in a basement of a house (my programming cave is right there as well. I have a giant playlist of music that plays in random order and speakers that shake the house. This way I am not bored and any particular song can either slow me down or make me sprint and see the stars ;) I can't ride indoors without music at all. The only numbers I am looking at are the overall average power so I do not get too lazy (I still do :evil: )