Feature suggestion: Elevation display

Get answers to question about the software.
VeloReality Video

Re: Feature suggestion: Elevation display

Post by VeloReality Video »

Deb on some the well known climbs you will do there will be sign posts every 1km with the distance to the top (the most important bit of info for me) max grade of the next 1000m & sometimes your altitude (& alt to go). I know this info is important to a lot of riders, hence the councils of Spain Belgium France & Germany Austria spend a lot of money to place these signs special for cyclists. I think at some stage that some kind of auto generated virtual sign post could be generated from the route & segment data which has the start & end points of the climbs as well as the name & altitude etc. I can imagine having full screen no data (0 button) & then just getting a few seconds update every few minutes would be functional enough to keep my view completely clear of clutter & save me having to switch screens to see the distance to go....Im playing the part of the cycletourist here even though I raced for at least 20years & was a complete data junkie...I love to be immersed in the film now & can can quite happily pace by feeling & breathing pace. But even with the regular data screen some extra info would be useful for some Im sure.
Deb

Post by Deb »

I'm purely a bike tourist and not a racer so the numbers aren't the primary focus for me either, but they do add one more level of engagement.

It's definitely not a must-have but I agree that a lot of people might find it interesting. As innovative as you guys are, I'm sure you'll find a cool way to incorporate that info eventually. :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Deb wrote:I'm purely a bike tourist and not a racer so the numbers aren't the primary focus for me either, but they do add one more level of engagement.
It's definitely not a must-have but I agree that a lot of people might find it interesting. As innovative as you guys are, I'm sure you'll find a cool way to incorporate that info eventually. :D
Hi Deb. Have you by any chance published anything on this particular site: http://crazyguyonabike.com ?
VeloReality Forum Administrator
aaslundg

Post by aaslundg »

I like the idea of virtual sign posts. I like the real ones,too. they have helped me completing Mont Ventox, Galibier and Alpe d'huez inn real life
Deb

Post by Deb »

admin wrote: Hi Deb. Have you by any chance published anything on this particular site: http://crazyguyonabike.com ?
Nope. "Recreational rider" would probably be a better term than tourist. I've done some cycling in about 13 different states, plus a bit in Ireland and Canada, but I've never done any fully loaded, self-supported style touring which is what that site makes me think of.

I just like riding, but I don't much care how fast. ;)
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

aaslundg wrote:I like the idea of virtual sign posts. I like the real ones,too. they have helped me completing Mont Ventox, Galibier and Alpe d'huez inn real life
http://veloreality.co.uk/col-du-tourmalet/ ;)
jaysa

Post by jaysa »

Resurrecting this old thread:

Most of us like to climb, so would it be possible to add some altitude fields to the Head Up display?
There's space under the speed and energy fields.

- Perhaps current altitude or total altitude climbed?
- And also rate of climb, or VAM, which I understand is more complicated to calculate?

I climb with a Silva Alta Altimeter which gives climb rate and current altitude. On a long tough ride, I find these numbers motivating and reassuring. Maintaining pace until the next big number is a valuable hill-slaying tactic and would add realism. I was doing the Izoard on VR at (for me) high output, and would have appreciated knowing how much more height gain was left to avoid cracking.

Don't worry if it's not exact or authoritative - my Altimeter is subject to air pressure variations, it's well-known that consumer GPS algorithms are optimised for horizontal rather than vertical accuracy so GPS climb rates are inconsistent, and near me in France there are at least five roadside altitude signs which are plain wrong - they disagree with 1:25k maps and are consistently 15-25m out compared with their neighbours!

Thanks for a great product!