Kickr (First Generation) Bizare Simulation Issue

Get answers to question about the software.
tsapiano

Kickr (First Generation) Bizare Simulation Issue

Post by tsapiano »

I've had some odd issues with performing video rides the last few times I've tried it. I was mostly using ERG mode with other software (TrainerRoad) for a while, so there have been multiple Veloreality updates and Kickr firmware updates between when it was working well and what it's doing now. Unfortunately that makes isolating what changed a little difficult.

I'm not sure how to describe it, as I haven't entirely figured out a pattern but figured I'd post here to see if you have any suggestions on how to diagnose it (happy to do test rides if there are any theories).

- When the grade changes, the resistance on the trainer doesn't seem to change but the speed on screen (in Veloreality) drops as I would expect. As such, I can be going up a +7% grade at 10km/h, but be spinning 100+rpm in a 52x14 gear. It's almost as if it's stuck in ERG mode and just holding the power, but the fact the speed is dropping means the trainer knows it's supposed to be on a grade (if I pair my Garmin it gets the same speed/power as VeloReality shows). I've got no idea how that could happen, but that's what I'm seeing.
- Speeding up or slowing down seems to still change the power up/down, but the speed doesn't seem to have any relationship to reality. I can be pushing 240w in 36x25 and 180w in 52x11 and sometimes it will drift even on flat ground. Haven't done enough to see if there's a pattern to it.
- Power is coming from the Kickr itself, but I've also got a Garmin Vector on the bike which is not paired with the computer. If I use my Edge (which is paired to the Vector but not the Kickr) the power numbers line up almost perfectly on the two systems, so the Kickr's readings appear accurate. I've tried it with my other bike (which doesn't have a PM) to rule out the Edge/Vector interfering with the Veloreality<->Kickr connection. I'm not using Wahoo's power match feature right now so the trainer doesn't know about the Vector.

When I use it in ERG mode everything works well, whether I have speed simulation turned on or off (so the speed sensor seems to be working). I've been careful to kill any apps running on my devices and make sure no other software is running on the computer to rule out two things fighting for control. I'm sure it's just a setting that I've missed here, but I haven't been able to find enough of a pattern here to figure out where to look.

General Information:
- First generation Kickr running FW 1.5.63
- Veloreality running on a Windows 7 computer with an ANT+ USB stick (Garmin branded, low profile one that came with my Vector) communicating with the trainer (machine doesn't have Bluetooth).

I've hesitated to ask before because I can't figure out what could be happening here and whether it's a software, trainer or interference issue. Seems non-sensical so far, but hoping you guys have seen something similar so I can figure out where to look.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Kickr (First Generation) Bizare Simulation Issue

Post by admin »

tsapiano wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:07 pm...When the grade changes, the resistance on the trainer doesn't seem to change...
I would start with this. First check your "Gear reduction" settings. It can be set in such way that would cause this exact situation. If however the settings are ok then you have trainer/software communication issues. Go to ANT+ settings, unpair all ANT+ devices including trainer and try to pair again. In case you have paired your KICKR to other software using BLE you have to explicitly un-pair it from whatever smartphone/PC/etc it was paired to.

Last - proper channel for tech support is our contact form on main site: https://veloreality.com/contact/ . Contact form will get us email notification and will get our attention. Forum is mostly for people helping each other/discussing things/whatever.
VeloReality Forum Administrator