Tacx iGenius Connectivity

Get answers to question about the software.
sbooth1440

Tacx iGenius Connectivity

Post by sbooth1440 »

Hi all! I searched the forums but didn't see any topic about this issue - so if I missed this please feel free to a) chastise me :) and b) direct me!

I have been using the Tacx iGenius for years, with their software. Somehow missed the connectivity to VeloReality :D I have downloaded the v-ride software but can't see to have the software find my iGenius trainer. I have put the iGenius in "search" mode and have it search under ANT+ in the v-ride software, but to no avail. I do have the green light next to "Ant" in the v-ride software. Also the computer and everything else is exactly the same as what I use to connect to the iGenius in the TTS software from Tacx - which works fine. Would love access to the additional videos so any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
sbooth1440

Re: Tacx iGenius Connectivity

Post by sbooth1440 »

P.S. on this. I literally put my computer next to the iGenius trainer. It connects to the iGenius from where I normally place it but wanted the USB ANT+ stick about an inch away:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What kind of ANT+ stick are you using, can you send a link?
VeloReality Forum Administrator
sbooth1440

Post by sbooth1440 »

First of all it's Sunday - truly appreciate the fast response!! That said it's not crazy rush if you want to enjoy the day!! :)

The ANT+ stick is the one that came with my Tacx - which is the Dynastream Innovations: ANT USBSTICK2. I am very sorry but I am not sure what link you are asking for.

I have attached an image of what I get when I go into properties for the device.

Thank you so much - but again no crazy rush! :)
sbooth1440

Post by sbooth1440 »

And one other FYI. I have a Garmin ANT+ stick and just tried that as well (shows up in the software as "Dynastream Innovations: ANT USB-m Stick" which I noticed is the same as the user manual:)

Didn't help :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You're getting me puzzle. Are you absolutely sure that is is Smart ANT FE-C compliant iGenius? I believe they had earlier model that used proprietary ANT protocol to communicate to TTS. I could be wrong but I think they also had model that needed firmware update to become ANT FE-C compliant. I do not have iGenius but I just dusted off and fired up my iVortex that I use for testing and it connected to software without a hitch.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
mac

Post by mac »

I think you are correct that the i-Genius (T2021 resistance unit) is not FE-C compliant. Instead, it is an older brake that uses a proprietary ANT protocol to communicate. The Genius Smart is the newer model that uses ANT+ FE-C (as well as Bluetooth). You can convert an i-Genius to a Genius Smart by replacing the electronic package with a T2086.12 electro brake. The T2086.12 is fairly expensive and bit hard to find these days as it appears to be out of production. If you want full Smart capability, you could get a complete Vortex Smart T2181 brake unit which would be compatible with everything, including Velo Reality and the rest of the Tacx system. It would bolt onto the same frame as the Genius. The Vortex does not have all the power and features of a Genius, but it works reasonably well and would likely be less expensive and easier to get than the Genius Smart electro unit.

P.S. I believe it does not work with Zwift for the same reason, although I do not have firsthand experience on this.
MAC
Bellingham, WA USA
sbooth1440

Post by sbooth1440 »

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all the replies. I have the latest firmware for the brake so it must be what you are discussing. I REALLY appreciate all the replies. Guess I am stuck just getting the films through Tacx, which if I am not mistaken are VeloReality films? Just saw a greater set of films and was excited to try them. I have a fair sunk cost in the iGenius so not ready to toss it yet :)

Again thanks to all of you for the replies!
mac

Post by mac »

sbooth1440 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:45 am Guess I am stuck just getting the films through Tacx, which if I am not mistaken are VeloReality films? Just saw a greater set of films and was excited to try them. I have a fair sunk cost in the iGenius so not ready to toss it yet :)
Due to the iGenius lack of FE-C, the platforms you can avail yourself of are very limited, so think about getting the new electro-pack (you might find one at a decent price if you shop) or something like the Vortex Smart which is compatible with everything. Besides FE-C, the Smart units also have Bluetooth connectivity, which greatly expands what you can connect to.

There is some overlap between Tacx and Velo Reality videos, but Velo Reality has quite a few unique rides and a large 4K collection at good prices.
MAC
Bellingham, WA USA
sbooth1440

Post by sbooth1440 »

Thanks everyone! Yes definitely noticed all the additional rides so have already been scouring the web for any upgrade units out there with FEC/Bluetooth.

REALLY appreciate all the feedback!!