How accurate should i input weight?

Get answers to question about the software.
Machoman121

How accurate should i input weight?

Post by Machoman121 »

To improve realism do I also factor in water bottles, GPS, Helmets, Back pack (car keys, sunglassess, gel, food, cakes)....At the moment I have included my body weight only and the bicycle weight. In real life i have all those other stuff which can easily add up. Will adding up all these stuff improve the accuracy of the software to simulate real life?
admin
Site Admin

Re: How accurate should i input weight?

Post by admin »

If you want more "realism" I would be more concerned about what trainer are you using and how accurate is power reported by it (unless you have separate power meter). As for the rest: when you're outside there are factors like road surface, temperature/humidity, wind etc that might affect your riding time way more then weight of gels so I would not worry about it. To get a better perspective you can play with weight in online bike calculator http://bikecalculator.com and see how it changes the speed. The rest is up to you.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
Bradox78

Post by Bradox78 »

For my part, I consider the effective total weight :
- fully equipped cyclist (shoes, clothing, helmet ...),
- fully equipped bike (with 2 full bottles, pump, saddle bag, GPS computer...).

Taking this into account, I made a comparison between the real and the virtual ascent of l'Alpe d' Huez with excellent results :
https://veloreality.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141
Lynx VR Trainer v1 - PowerTap G3 Alloy Rear Wheel - Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor and heart rate monitor - Dynastream ANTUSB-m stick - Asus Vivo PC X (Intel Core i5-7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1060, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Win10 64 bits).
mac

Post by mac »

All weight makes a difference, at least on hills. It's just part of the math. But I would not obsess about it. If you want to get an idea if your performance is actually changing, just be sure the weight setting remains constant, unless, of course, you happen to be actually gaining or losing body weight.
MAC
Bellingham, WA USA