My thoughts on veloreality

Get answers to question about the software.
Machoman121

Re: My thoughts on veloreality

Post by Machoman121 »

I rode Stelvio - not all yet - just a couple of kms - will do a proper one soon - what a fantastic virtual reality ride - well filmed and you chose the right timing - minimal cars and cyclist on the way up.

I think i see what you meant...it can be hard to judge accurately the road gradient - i took note that VR was reporting a gradient of +6 to +7 but yet it looked like flat to me.....then a cyclist went by on the left - he was on the way down and i noticed he was not pedaling.....another one went the same way too later - coasting! Perhaps it's the way the camera is angled - slightly upwards -
capturing more of the scenery rather than the boring tarmac. Which is the way it should be.

Again - Stelvio is a really good ride - Thanks Veloreality. :mrgreen:

I like how you film the rides - choosing the right time where there are as few cars/cyclist as possible.

I'm getting more videos!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Machoman121 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:29 am'...I think i see what you meant...it can be hard to judge accurately the road gradient - i took note that VR was reporting a gradient of +6 to +7 but yet it looked like flat to me.....then a cyclist went by on the left - he was on the way down and i noticed he was not pedaling.....another one went the same way too later - coasting! Perhaps it's the way the camera is angled - slightly upwards...

...Again - Stelvio is a really good ride - Thanks Veloreality. :mrgreen: ...
Barring some local bumps the filming car is always parallel to the road, camera's FOV axis is parallel to the road as well as the result. So in the absence of some visual clues (road bends, sharp changes in the road grade, general perceived grade of surrounding scenery the road will always look flat from a camera's perspective. Sure we sometimes adjust the angle of the camera before filming to let more scenery in but it visually looks like the line of the horizon is now for example at 1/3rd of the screen's height instead of the middle but visually this does not translate to perception of grade. Still looks flat.

Thanks for your kind words.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
rgurney

Post by rgurney »

The Veloreality trainer software is excellent. It is extremely well designed, detailed and very user friendly. It is constantly being improved with updates to the program. The V-rides are the best available on the market, hands down, - great locations, superb photography, and reasonably priced. I am not aware of anyone else offering 4k video which is stunning on a large screen. Once you do a ride in 4K, it's hard to go back to standard definition.
Machoman121

Post by Machoman121 »

I totally agree - there isn't anything more professional and better filmed as Veloreality.

Did my first semi serious ride with Veloreality last night - it was Arches National Park. Rode for an hour.....very nice, i was not disappointed.

But i might have to get a 2nd TV to watch something else....along with riding on Veloreality. Then i think i'll be able to ride further. There's still that boredom factor cycling indoor.