Problems using New Version

Get answers to question about the software.
Mighty Malc

Problems using New Version

Post by Mighty Malc »

This morning I rode on my computrainer after getting the latest Velo Reality software automatically updated.
Changes, and problems in bold:
1. The new display with purple was flickering very fast between purple and white (on Ardeche 2 1st major downhill) which was off-putting. Staying the same colour as per previously would be my preference!
2. My performance seemed poorer than usual (5 best previous goes unusually all got away from me) and felt a bit lumpy. This is subjective and might be me having an off day. But if changes have been made to the algorithm then it is making a difference and I don't like it.
3. When I started a ride it took several seconds after I started pedalling before any notice was taken, and was then a jerky start. This is a backwards step - it used to be fine. Happened each time I started a ride.
4. I stopped pedalling and came to a halt. When I started pedalling again I was ignored and could not get any response so had to give up on the ride. Clicking to get back to the rides screen did not work very well and I had difficulty getting out of the app.
After rebooting:
5. I stopped pedalling and came to a halt. There was no bar across the top to click to get out. In fact I think the course profile was duplicated in the region where the bar would normally have been. Clicking around got the exit bar back but it was unresponsive to further clicks to get out.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems using New Version

Post by admin »

1. The new display with purple was flickering very fast between purple and white (on Ardeche 2 1st major downhill) which was off-putting. Staying the same colour as per previously would be my preference!

That was because your speed was borderline close and fluctuating around one of the filming car. I will think about what do do in this situation. It did not bother me but I guess some people yourself included would not like it. Expect some fix soon (next day most likely)

2. My performance seemed poorer than usual (5 best previous goes unusually all got away from me) and felt a bit lumpy. This is subjective and might be me having an off day. But if changes have been made to the algorithm then it is making a difference and I don't like it.

That is to be expected as your performance was limited by virtual brake which does not let you go faster then a filming car. I had too many requests to implement this feature as people were complaining about video going too fast for the road conditions and finally decided to implement it. Of course the initiative is always punishable ;) As I said I will think of a fix. Maybe making it optional.

3. When I started a ride it took several seconds after I started pedalling before any notice was taken, and was then a jerky start. This is a backwards step - it used to be fine. Happened each time I started a ride.
4. I stopped pedalling and came to a halt. When I started pedalling again I was ignored and could not get any response so had to give up on the ride. Clicking to get back to the rides screen did not work very well and I had difficulty getting out of the app.
After rebooting:
5. I stopped pedalling and came to a halt. There was no bar across the top to click to get out. In fact I think the course profile was duplicated in the region where the bar would normally have been. Clicking around got the exit bar back but it was unresponsive to further clicks to get out.

I could not replicate any of it, nor could some of my testers. Also I no longer have access to Computrainer and to find out what is going on in your case would prefer to look at your system. Please contact me for life support as explained in: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94
VeloReality Forum Administrator
Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

The reason I discovered the Stop issue this morning was because I stopped to check my tyre - riding had the same feel a of a worn out tyre; possibly this is also something to do with virtual braking being applied intermittently.

Virtual braking only affects "on display" speed. The speed of your wheel is completely determined by Computrainer. Software just reports current road grade and Computrainer calculates resistance. Anyways as I promised I will do something about Virtual Brake (make it optional most likely).

I am hoping switching it off also cures the start-up and stop issues . If not, I guess I will need to phone you as I don't have Skype. But I am optimistic the problem will go away since it seems to have been introduced with the new version/virtual braking.

Well you can downloading previous version from http://veloreality.com/vlr_media/misc/v ... _0_117.zip and copy executable over current one. Just do not click "install updates" button and see if it fixes the problem. As I already said it has nothing to do with VBrake but there were other changes as well so it is better to check. Skype cost nothing so why don't you download and install it. Phone call might cost a little fortune if it takes enough time. Also I would still need Teamviewer installed on your PC so I can take a look at what is going on and maybe test couple of changes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok. More strict criterias for VBrake activation were introduced so it is unlikely that you'd hit it on your existing rides. You might still have a problem with your software/computrainer /whatever combo as what you've experienced should not be related to VBrake at all. So if problem persists after current update then contact me as recommended for live support.
Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

Since I can use 1.5.0.117 ok and don't have time currently to install Skype etc I will leave this for now. But if you get inspired as to what other changes have just been made that could affect Start/Stop (for a computrainer?), then a fix would be nice.

Hopefully somebody else with a computrainer will report the same issue if it affects them, or alternatively say theirs works fine, which will help to narrow the problem down. Surely I am not the only person using VeloReality with a computrainer?

Version's been out for few a days already and other then from yourself I have 0 reports about similar behavior. We definitely have clients with the Computrainer but not sure how many as we do not really track usage of particular trainers (I guess we should start doing it). I gather hey're either on vacation from training or do not experience your problem. I have some suspicion in regards to what might be causing it (something not related to VBrake/Computrainer at all) but I can not really check it without your feedback.

We are in a process of updating some data structures the software gets from our servers to accomodate new features so at some point your version might fall behind a bit too much ;)

BTW. Skype and Teamviewer should take about 5 minutes to install combined time.
Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

OK - Skype installed (and finding out how to use!) + TeamViewQS downloaded.
Have sent you a Skype request for contact (Malcolm Pymm Leatherhead) so we can kick things off - not sure when suits you?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did not receive any Skype contact request. Are you sure you sent it to poukhov_kostya ? Anyways I sent my contact request to you, see if you can accept it. Also this forum is probably not the best place to keep ongoing communications. From now on and until your problem is fixed let's use private messaging.
Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

Thanks to Kostya for live support in fixing this.

The behaviour seemed connected with an integrated graphics card, NVidia graphics card and inconsistent behaviour switching between them that may point to a problem with my system. Sometimes the problem was there and sometimes not.

Anyway, it now seems to be working ok on the new version for which I am profoundly grateful.
Many thanks again Kostya!
grantos2063

Post by grantos2063 »

I am also having similar problems with the latest version .125 and fixed by reverting to .117

Been away for a few weeks, veloreality did an autoupdate on my return on 8th august and exhibited similar problems as described above (specifically: wouldnt start with pedalling, could force it to start by clicking in the top "click here to choose another video" box whilst pedalling - but wouldnt register time and speed, just power and distance (!), and then would crash with windows "not responding" message box).

All fixed with reversion to .117, but not a long term solution.

Other important detail - Windows Pro 7 also (unhelpfully) did an autoupdate on my return - now not sure of the relevance of this since .117 is ok
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try downloading it and reinstalling from the scratch into some new folder (you only need to copy main executable into this new folder and it will then download all it needs). If it does not work you can go for live help as described in: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94 .
Keep in mind that due to stuff vacation until Aug 28 option of live help is limited to 9PM-1AM of Atlantic Time Zone (UTC-4).