Feature request: hot key for screenshot

Get answers to question about the software.
spocket

Feature request: hot key for screenshot

Post by spocket »

If it already exists, i did not see it in the manual.

It would be cool if a hot key existed to take screenshots (active VR window only, NOT full desktop) and the resulting image to be dumped in a folder. I think it would help promote your program too as we could post more easily on social media.

Been using the windows function but after that you need to paste in paint or some other programs. Takes time, affects the workout, and sometimes you miss the shot as it requires you to grab the keyboard to do the Windows key combination required.

A hint on the screen (feedback) that the screenshot was successful would be nice too (wireless keyboard. Sometimes goes to sleep and need a key press to wake).

Thanks for the good work, love doing my longer rides with VeloReality!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: hot key for screenshot

Post by admin »

I will include this functionality when I have some free time. Do not know when exactly but it should not take too long. Meanwhile you can still do instant saving to file upon pressing hot key:

In windows 8.1 and 10 you can just press Win+PrtScr key combination to instantly save screen to file:
http://www.howtogeek.com/226280/how-to- ... indows-10/

or you can use 3rd party tools that can be more convenient and save just
active window upon pressing single key you can configure like:
http://www.screenshot-utility.com/

and I am pretty sure that Google Search on "windows hotkey screenshot save to file" would find you even more options as
this is how I found the answer myself in a few seconds.

Meanwhile if you do have screenshots to share please tell us where they are :wink:
VeloReality Forum Administrator
Specialkized

Post by Specialkized »

Hey guys I'm new here but an enthusiastic user. I would take this one step further and maybe even suggest that Velo Reality insert a screen shot with the .tcx file. You'll notice that Zwift does this with every ride and I think it goes a long way to help promote the product. I took screen shots when using Tacx and my Strava community loved them (until the Tacx software crapped out on me).
- Specialkized
Kiko

Post by Kiko »

On my Win 10 desktop & laptops, it's only necessary to press 'PrtScn'. Then use the 'Paint' programme (incl. with the OS), press 'paste', then save the file.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kiko wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:14 am On my Win 10 desktop & laptops, it's only necessary to press 'PrtScn'. Then use the 'Paint' programme (incl. with the OS), press 'paste', then save the file.
It works in any version of Windows. The idea was to have image saved to file automatically upon pressing single key without having to pause ride
Kiko

Post by Kiko »

That's right............during your ride you press 'PrtScn', and it doesn't pause or interupt the ride, then you can save, edit, later.
As I pointed out, there's no need to press Win+PrtScn.
spocket

Post by spocket »

Thanks for your feedback; It would be great if this is added!

About the "print screen/pasting" method, that is what I've been using so far. As I mentioned in my original post, using "print screen" then pasting in paint, then saving, etc means fidgeting with the keyboard and mouse while riding.. that's what I am trying to avoid.

You need 2 hands (at least on my keyboard) to do ALT + PRINTSCR to save just the active window; Just "printscreen" works, but it takes the full desptop; I have dual screens, so it means more work again before posting (need to crop image); And it does not dump the image in a folder by itself.. i.e. if you press again to have a different screenshot (without pasting in another app) then you lost the first screenshot.

I'll look also in other tools mentioned, but I am guessing they will need combination of several keys to be pressed at the same time, which is not ideal. That could work if I can hit the combination single-handed though.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

spocket wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:50 am..but I am guessing they will need combination of several keys to be pressed at the same time, which is not ideal. That could work if I can hit the combination single-handed though.
Those can be configured for single key