What sensors do I need for a Spin Bike

Get answers to question about the software.
MrD

What sensors do I need for a Spin Bike

Post by MrD »

Hello. I have installed the software & a Garmin ANT+ mini USB stick, which is now showing up in the software. I want to use this on my new Spinning S1 spin bike for now & may upgrade to a prober bike/power meter setup later. It is on a mid power PC with windows 7 for now, that runs the test video OK but I will probably get a graphics car or faster machine once I get the sensor's working. I have the Spinning Bio HR computer that came with it but that does not appear to support any ANT stuff.

I am unsure what ANT+ sensor's I need to get this working? Can this work with just a Cadence sensor, like the Garmin or Wahoo cadence sensor attached to a pedal or does it need to have a Speed sensor as well? I am after a basic setup so I can pedal around to make the videos move, so am not after anything too fancy for now. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: What sensors do I need for a Spin Bike

Post by admin »

I think you might get away with basic ANT+ speed sensor if you manage to mount it properly on your flywheel and then select one of the awailable resistance trainers from a list (consult software manual for that). Your calculated power of course will be bogus but as you say you will get your video moving
VeloReality Forum Administrator
MrD

Post by MrD »

Thanks for the reply. I will look at getting a speed & cadence sensor combined if I can get one that I can fit to the bike. The Resistance Trainer screen is a nice touch, so I will have a play with that.

Will any ANT+ speed & cadence sensor work? I was looking at something like the PowerTap ANT+ Dual Speed and Cadence Sensor #30321, that I think I can hook up to get speed of the flywheel & cadence off the pedals.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As I already said ANY ANT+ speed sensor will be enough for your case. If you want combined speed/cadence it is fine as well. As for particular kind - you know your spin bike so it is easier for you to decide on what is better in terms of mounting.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
Almspuffer

Post by Almspuffer »

Hi Mr D

I agree with Admin, I bought the cheapest sensors I could find, a speed / cadence sensor for around £30. I guess it will be quite tricky to mount the magnet that needs to go on the flywheel to feed a speed sensor. one option is to mount a speed sensor to the cranks where you would normally mount a cadence senor. You could change the bike setting-wheel size to something very large so the crank revolutions give you a speed reading comparable to the wheel revolutions of a standard bike. If you like to use a heart monitor, you can also get an ant+ one for £40.
MrD

Post by MrD »

Thanks. I plan to get a Sigma ANT+ Speed sensor I found for £24, then will probably get a Garmin cadence sensor as well, followed by a Heart sensor at a later date. That will all connect to the Garmin ANT+ stick that I already have working. The standalone speed sensor should be easier to mount than one of the combo ones & my spin bike already has a magnet on the fly wheel, so it should be easy to setup (I hope). Thanks for your help.
ethan07

Post by ethan07 »

I bought the cadence/speed/HRM kit for my spin bike. Cadence are easy.

I started with the speed sensor out at the edge of the flywheel. Pedaling as fast as possible(dangerously fast), with very little resistance, I could only get up to 100w or so. Moved the sensor as far into the center as I could. Did a ride this morning and got up to 240.

I don't want to be a racer, I'm just doing it for the exercise. So round off numbers are good enough for me.