Tacx Neo

Get answers to question about the software.
TSquares

Tacx Neo

Post by TSquares »

I have tried the software yesterday and really like it! However, I have a few questions:

1. Why does it only support descends till 3%? The Tacx Neo can simulate up to 5%.
2. Are there plans to implement Tacx road feel into the videos? Would be great to have road feel on cobbled climbs for example.
3. I notice there is a 3 second lag between the software and my Tacx Neo. When I start accelarating it takes 3 seconds before this is noticeable in the software. Can I fix this?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tacx Neo

Post by admin »

Why does it only support descends till 3%? The Tacx Neo can simulate up to 5%.

It was done for safety reasons when using with non direct drive trainers. We might consider relaxing this for trainers like Neo. Kind of meaningless though since this only affects the feel/resistance. The "on screen" speed is always calculated for a real grade. Do you really care how fast Neo spins it's motor while your legs doing close to nothing?

Are there plans to implement Tacx road feel into the videos? Would be great to have road feel on cobbled climbs for example.

We've already built the support in. Will take time though to go through the videos and create data for road surfaces. Can't commit to a definite timeline at the moment.

I notice there is a 3 second lag between the software and my Tacx Neo. When I start accelarating it takes 3 seconds before this is noticeable in the software. Can I fix this?

Welcome to the world of low power wireless. What you're seeing is most likely the results of low rate of transmitting messages exacerbated with lags and some message loss the ANT+ message transmissions. Looking at Tacx forums I assume that you have the same lag with Zwift package.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
TSquares

Post by TSquares »

It was done for safety reasons when using with non direct drive trainers. We might consider relaxing this for trainers like Neo. Kind of meaningless though since this only affects the feel/resistance. The "on screen" speed is always calculated for a real grade. Do you really care how fast Neo spins it's motor while your legs doing close to nothing?
I don't think it's meaningless. Then it would also be meaningless to change resistance during uphill,since it only affects feel/resistance and not the in-game speed :)
We've already built the support in. Will take time though to go through the videos and create data for road surfaces. Can't commit to a definite timeline at the moment.
Great!
Welcome to the world of low power wireless. What you're seeing is most likely the results of low rate of transmitting messages exacerbated with lags and some message loss the ANT+ message transmissions. Looking at Tacx forums I assume that you have the same lag with Zwift package.
Yeah, I have similar problems with Zwift. Do you how I can reduce the lag (for example by using a different ANT stick)?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't think it's meaningless. Then it would also be meaningless to change resistance during uphill,since it only affects feel/resistance and not the in-game speed :)

I think I've failed to explain my point of view. It is definitely not meaningless when grade goes from 0% to let's say 10%. Negative grades -3% -5% people I think will mostly soft pedal (at least I tend to do ;) that is why in my settings I have negative grades clamped to zero). But as it was already said I will reset this down to -5% for Neo.

Yeah, I have similar problems with Zwift. Do you how I can reduce the lag (for example by using a different ANT stick)?[/quote]

Well I get the best results with ANTUSB-m stick ( http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partg ... sb-m/36802 ). Problem is that it mostly best in terms of reducing the packet loss. It will not change the transmission rate coming from the host (Neo in your case) and I think Neo is the culprit here. I for example have some delay when using my Powertap as an input but the delay is more like 1 second. No delays at all with my wired Lynx trainer tho ;)
TSquares

Post by TSquares »

I think I've failed to explain my point of view. It is definitely not meaningless when grade goes from 0% to let's say 10%. Negative grades -3% -5% people I think will mostly soft pedal (at least I tend to do ;) that is why in my settings I have negative grades clamped to zero). But as it was already said I will reset this down to -5% for Neo.
You are right that it is no big deal, but still it is a nice feature. It will also result that I will go faster in descends when I'm totally worn out, so I'm happy you are changing it :)

Btw, once I had a problem that the Neo motor kept running endlessly after I closed down the software in a descend. Again no big deal, but perhaps it is good for you to know.
Well I get the best results with ANTUSB-m stick ( http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partg ... sb-m/36802 ). Problem is that it mostly best in terms of reducing the packet loss. It will not change the transmission rate coming from the host (Neo in your case) and I think Neo is the culprit here. I for example have some delay when using my Powertap as an input but the delay is more like 1 second. No delays at all with my wired Lynx trainer tho ;)
Yeah, I wish the Neo could also be connected via a cable. I have bought an USB extension cable and network switch to improve my setup. I am aware that his probably will not make a difference, but the USB cable was cheap and I wanted a wired internet connection on my PC anyway (I was on wifi). Later on I can still decide to buy a new ANT+ stick but this is a big investment for something that also will probably not make a difference. Although I must say the one I have now is old (see image). So you prefer the Ant+ Mini USB stick with extension cable to a Tacx ANT+ antenna?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

...It will also result that I will go faster in descends when I'm totally worn out...

Just do not hurt yourself ;)

Btw, once I had a problem that the Neo motor kept running endlessly after I closed down the software in a descend. Again no big deal, but perhaps it is good for you to know.

That is totally doing of Neo, has nothing to do with our software.

...So you prefer the Ant+ Mini USB stick with extension cable to a Tacx ANT+ antenna?...

I prefer the Ant+ Mini USB stick to any other stick I came across but I did not lay my hands on stick from Tacx. The one on your pic looks like it is the older one with the weaker signal.
TSquares

Post by TSquares »

Just do not hurt yourself ;)
Haha, I am willing to go deep when I see that ghost just in front of me ;-)
I prefer the Ant+ Mini USB stick to any other stick I came across but I did not lay my hands on stick from Tacx. The one on your pic looks like it is the older one with the weaker signal.
Okay, thanks. I might try that one later on. First a heat wave (so no indoor cycling) and holiday. After that I will probably buy some videos :)
Bradox78

Post by Bradox78 »

TSquares wrote:So you prefer the Ant+ Mini USB stick with extension cable to a Tacx ANT+ antenna?
After having tested severalI configurations, I can only confirm that the best solution is to use the Digikey ANTUSB-m stick ;)

For details, see my post here :
http://veloreality.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 1452#p1452
Lynx VR Trainer v1 - PowerTap G3 Alloy Rear Wheel - Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor and heart rate monitor - Dynastream ANTUSB-m stick - Asus Vivo PC X (Intel Core i5-7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1060, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Win10 64 bits).
TSquares

Post by TSquares »

That's good to know. Thanks Bradox78.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TSquares wrote:1. Why does it only support descends till 3%? The Tacx Neo can simulate up to 5%.
Limit has been reset to -5% in new version (1.5.0.74)