Can I adjust speed?

Get answers to question about the software.
Louisd

Can I adjust speed?

Post by Louisd »

So I was riding the marmotte today and noticed the speed on my Garmin 500 was about 2.5x faster than what was being shown on VR, and I am sure the Garmin was much more accurate as to what the speed should have been. I understand that VR doesn't use the Ant+ output from my Garmin, but rather its own speed based on a variety of factors, but why would be that much slower (about 3.8 mph on VR vs about 10.5 mph on my Garmin?). Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
VeloReality Video

Re: Can I adjust speed?

Post by VeloReality Video »

Louisd wrote:So I was riding the marmotte today and noticed the speed on my Garmin 500 was about 2.5x faster than what was being shown on VR, and I am sure the Garmin was much more accurate as to what the speed should have been. I understand that VR doesn't use the Ant+ output from my Garmin, but rather its own speed based on a variety of factors, but why would be that much slower (about 3.8 mph on VR vs about 10.5 mph on my Garmin?). Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
The aim of VRide software is to simulate real life, the speed you see is what you would be riding in real life for the effort you are pushing (watts) on the grade of road you are riding in the video. The speed you see on your Garmin is just wheel speed & on an indoor trainer wheel speed is a bit meaningless (you could be churning a massive gear with little resistance for example). I hope that helps,

If you want to cheat a bit on the mountains & go a bit faster, then you could reduce your weight in the settings....get your self a virtual lighter bike ;)
Louisd

Post by Louisd »

Thanks. I guess I need to make sure my settings are correct then. Let me ask this - when riding the Marmotte, do the following numbers from the attached creen shot make sense? 9.6% grade, 201 watts, 5.3 mph. Again, just seems slow.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Louisd wrote:Thanks. I guess I need to make sure my settings are correct then. Let me ask this - when riding the Marmotte, do the following numbers from the attached creen shot make sense? 9.6% grade, 201 watts, 5.3 mph. Again, just seems slow.

Thanks.
There is no screenshot attached. In order to find your speed you have to report your weight. If for example your weight is 160lbs and your bike weighs 20lbs your speed will be about 5.23 mph give or take (you can check yourself using online bike calculator at http://www.bikecalculator.com/ )
VeloReality Forum Administrator
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

Louisd wrote:Thanks. I guess I need to make sure my settings are correct then. Let me ask this - when riding the Marmotte, do the following numbers from the attached creen shot make sense? 9.6% grade, 201 watts, 5.3 mph. Again, just seems slow.

Thanks.
My very vague rule of the thumb is Alpe d'Huez is about 13km long & about 8% average...your typical strong rider of average weight that can ride it in 1hr & will be pushing about 300watts depending on the weight he has lift up the climb...so this is very roughly 8mph at 300watts on a 8% grade.

Your doing 200watts on a 9.6% grade so normally you will be quite a fair bit slower. 5mph sounds about right. But remember reducing your virtual weight will make you climb much faster.. The stick insects that win the mountain stages of the Tour de France often do not push amazingly high watts compared to bigger stronger riders that climb much slower.
Louisd

Post by Louisd »

Thanks all. I ran the numbers on the bike calculator and the speed seems to be correct. Glad to know the setup is correct!