Stuttering video

Get answers to question about the software.
rncrowhurst

Re: Stuttering video

Post by rncrowhurst »

This single bios change as described here in fixed the stuttering (choppy) video.

Description of problem: I recently moved my videos to run on an external hard disk. However once I had done this I then encountered issues with stuttering (choppy) video play back in VRide making the riding not pleasant at all. This manifests itself in VRide every 10-24 seconds or so with the video jumping forward to "catch up". Its most easily picked up on flat courses where your are riding faster but is also very noticeable going up hill.

I switched to test mode and got the same result with several movies. Initially I thought it was the external drive but trying it using test mode on several different computers yielded difference results. For example

3 year old Acer V3-771 - stutter encountered
3 year old DELL Venue Pro 11 Pro 7130 (i5) - stutter encountered
>1 year old HP ENVY - perfect playback
1 month old ASUS K501U - perfect playback
8 year old i5 desktop - perfect playback
7 year old i7 desktop - perfect playback

So a range of hardware either worked well or not without any obvious relationship to age or video card/cpu/ram configurations.

On further examination I found that the Acer V3-771 had the "Legacy USB" setting "enabled" in its bios. By setting this to "disable" test mode in VRide worked seamlessly without any stuttering as previously seen on this laptop.

If you encounter stuttering or choppy video from an external drive then it might pay to check your bios setting for "Legacy USB" (if your bios has this setting) and set it to "disable" and see if this single change makes a difference for you also.
jaysa

Post by jaysa »

If anyone needs a suggestion for a reliable laptop to host VeloReality, my Lenovo T430 with i5 and Intel HD4000 integrated graphics and videos on an external 2.5 drive streams vidoes completely stutter-free.

ebay.co.uk has them for £160 - £200 depending on condition...
pajak

Post by pajak »

I've got MSI GE62, it has two video cards ("integrated" IntelHD Graphics 4600 and "additional" NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M).
The laptop shows which one is currently used (blue light means Intel, orange NVIDIA).

First issue is that, application works with Intel all the time, never switches to NVIDIA.

I've tried "super-turbo" mode, just the sensor and a magnet ("operated" by hand)
"Partial" acceleration works excelent (HD video is decoded fluently, even at very high speeds). I wonder what will happend with 4K
With "full" acceleration Intel enabled, I've got terrible stuttering (about 1FPS).

There is an issue related to display: very often gliches shows up (parts of video, some fragments of drawings, etc) or video "freezes" at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pajak wrote:I've got MSI GE62, it has two video cards ("integrated" IntelHD Graphics 4600 and "additional" NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M).
The laptop shows which one is currently used (blue light means Intel, orange NVIDIA).

First issue is that, application works with Intel all the time, never switches to NVIDIA.

I've tried "super-turbo" mode, just the sensor and a magnet ("operated" by hand)
"Partial" acceleration works excelent (HD video is decoded fluently, even at very high speeds). I wonder what will happend with 4K
With "full" acceleration Intel enabled, I've got terrible stuttering (about 1FPS).

There is an issue related to display: very often gliches shows up (parts of video, some fragments of drawings, etc) or video "freezes" at all.
You have 2 options:
1) Disable Intel video card in system BIOS or in device manager.
2) Go to you NVIDIA control panel settings. Select "Manage 3D settings" and then select "Program settings" and then click "Add" button. This will open dialog that will let you select application. Veloreality VRide will be either listed in the main list as "V-Ride main executable" so just select it or if not then click browse button and locate "v_ride.x64.exe" file on your disk. This will force system to use nVidia card.

Using intel card works but it often has problems including the visual artifacts you are seeing and performance definitely sucks
VeloReality Forum Administrator