Stuttering video

Get answers to question about the software.
roystep

Stuttering video

Post by roystep »

New user here. A little background first:
i have been riding indoors for 6-7 years. Serious rider, been a Tacx Fortius then Bushido user. Have suffered many problems, then again problems recently with my new Tacx Neo so finally gave up - completely- on Tacx. Returned the Neo to the store, after a lot of research and reading, went with Wahoo Kickr + Trainer Road + Velo Reality for climbing videos.
All in all really very happy, all set ups went very smoothly for a change. bought two videos already, plan to buy a lot more! Between my wife and myself the trainer is used almost every day!

My only minor bug is that the videos are stuttering a little bit, never more then 1 second at a time, they always start again after 1 second, it seems to happen randomly, 2-3 times in less then a minute then nothing for a few minutes. Hardware full or partial doesn't change anything. It is a minor issue, but still,detracts from the immersive experience...
My video card is ATI Radeon 6770. it is a 3-5 years old i think, with 1 G of video-RAM. Would a 2 or 4 G RAM video card help?
I don't mind changing the card if it is necessary, just not if it is useless...

Thanks for any info.

Steph
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuttering video

Post by admin »

roystep wrote:New user here. A little background first:
i have been riding indoors for 6-7 years. Serious rider, been a Tacx Fortius then Bushido user. Have suffered many problems, then again problems recently with my new Tacx Neo so finally gave up - completely- on Tacx. Returned the Neo to the store, after a lot of research and reading, went with Wahoo Kickr + Trainer Road + Velo Reality for climbing videos.
All in all really very happy, all set ups went very smoothly for a change. bought two videos already, plan to buy a lot more! Between my wife and myself the trainer is used almost every day!

My only minor bug is that the videos are stuttering a little bit, never more then 1 second at a time, they always start again after 1 second, it seems to happen randomly, 2-3 times in less then a minute then nothing for a few minutes. Hardware full or partial doesn't change anything. It is a minor issue, but still,detracts from the immersive experience...
My video card is ATI Radeon 6770. it is a 3-5 years old i think, with 1 G of video-RAM. Would a 2 or 4 G RAM video card help?
I don't mind changing the card if it is necessary, just not if it is useless...

Thanks for any info.

Steph
I do not think it has anything to do with your Video Card. 1GB is more then enough assuming you are not running any other graphics extensive apps at the same time. But in case if your system also has built in Intel Internal Graphics make absolutely sure that it is not being used for VRide. Normally this can be set in Settings for nVIdia/ATI.

Alternatively it is likely one of the following:

1) You antivirus wakes up and wants to do some scanning. Disable it and see if it works.
2) Same as (1) but could be caused by any other processes running in parallel. Check your "auto start" settings and disable auto start of any software that is not vital.
3) Same as (1) but windows is busy downloading/preparing some big update in the background. Check your computer activity with Task Manager for any activity when idling. Generally your CPU consumption at idle state should be about 0%.

4) You are running software from external USB drive. This works but not very recommended. I would suggest moving software to a system drive.
5) Your videos are on external USB drive and the interface is not fast enough/being stuck every once in a while. Try moving single video to internal drive and see if it helps.
6) Everything us running from internal drive and videos are there as well. The opposite of (4) but in some cases could make it worse. Reason is that in parallel with constantly reading video the software also constantly writes all your current data to a system drive. This is done to preserve all your ride data/state in case if the software crashes/you closed it/just stopped riding. It can be restarted and continued right from where you left without loosing any data. In this case the process of writing your state can compete with the process that feeds video and if your system does not have enough performance can cause that stuttering. The best choice to cure this case can be to make sure that videos are located on anything but system drive.

7) Your system just can not cope with the software (not fast enough and very unlikely). You can check it by doing "Test Mode" and looking at CPU consumption. Normally it should be below 30%. Setting hardware acceleration from "Partial" to "Full" in Settings/Performance can help. This however depends on particular video decoding chippery/driver capability available on your system and can cause very choppy video. Try setting it on/off (it is off by default) and see if that helps.

8) Stars are not aligned properly. Well you know what to do in this case.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
aaslundg

Post by aaslundg »

Is the stuttering dependant on your speed? I am only experiencing this when I am riding in speed over 50 km/h. (Downhill). Seems like this might happen when you ride faster than the original speed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

aaslundg wrote:Is the stuttering dependant on your speed? I am only experiencing this when I am riding in speed over 50 km/h. (Downhill). Seems like this might happen when you ride faster than the original speed.
This could be the case if the system can not play video fast enough. If software detects that discrepancy between position on a ride is different enough from position on video it will then skip some frames and seek directly to correct place. This will cause stutter but I would say those conditions are rare (steep downhill with hairpin turns when bike travels way faster then the filming car).
roystep

Post by roystep »

Thanks for the quick answer and the suggestions!
I will try a few of those and post an update eventually...

Thanks again, very appreciated!

S.
roystep

Post by roystep »

Here is an update.
No antivirus, no usb drive used.
Created a separate drive , copied one video to it, same exact problem.
Tried to stop as many processes running in the background. There are dozens of them when i look at them in Task Manager.
This is difficult to do as there is no way to know what is what for most of them. God i hate Windows...
UC varies between 20 to 50 % when running VRide in test mode.

My system specs :

5 years old
AMD PHENOM II X4 955
RAM 4G
Sata HD 1TB
Graphic card AMD Radeon HD6770 with 1g of Vram.

I would really appreciate some help. The stuttering is annoying, happening 2 to 5 times per minute. Two different videos show the same behavior. It is annoying and training is very important to me (and my wife)...
As i said in my original post, i don't mind upgrading the video card or the RAM or both or get a newer processor if necessary...

Thank you,

Stephane
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

roystep wrote:Here is an update.
No antivirus, no usb drive used.
Created a separate drive , copied one video to it, same exact problem.
Tried to stop as many processes running in the background. There are dozens of them when i look at them in Task Manager.
This is difficult to do as there is no way to know what is what for most of them. God i hate Windows...
UC varies between 20 to 50 % when running VRide in test mode.

My system specs :

5 years old
AMD PHENOM II X4 955
RAM 4G
Sata HD 1TB
Graphic card AMD Radeon HD6770 with 1g of Vram.

I would really appreciate some help. The stuttering is annoying, happening 2 to 5 times per minute. Two different videos show the same behavior. It is annoying and training is very important to me (and my wife)...
As i said in my original post, i don't mind upgrading the video card or the RAM or both or get a newer processor if necessary...

Thank you,

Stephane
Which rides do you have? for some we have lower resolution versions in 720p if its an issue of your PC not having enough horse power to run the full HD then maybe these will run smooth?
roystep

Post by roystep »

Well i am a bit of a maniac and really want the full HD video...
I have written the specs of my computer in my last post, do you think it is enough?

In any case it is a good idea to try a 720p video to see if it runs smoothly. If it does i will know i need to upgrade if i want the full HD...

The two full HD videos that i have now are Alpe d'Huez and Col d'Izoard.
I would appreciate being able to download free of charge a 720 video to try?

Thank you,

Stephane
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roystep wrote:Well i am a bit of a maniac and really want the full HD video...
I have written the specs of my computer in my last post, do you think it is enough?

In any case it is a good idea to try a 720p video to see if it runs smoothly. If it does i will know i need to upgrade if i want the full HD...

The two full HD videos that i have now are Alpe d'Huez and Col d'Izoard.
I would appreciate being able to download free of charge a 720 video to try?

Thank you,

Stephane
Here is the link to the page that has performance chart of various systems including yours - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... +II+X4+955 . It does not look very inspiring. The interesting thing is that it is still above some system that our clients are using to a great succss (those are still modern systems though even being low end). Maybe it is an AMD related thingy. It runs fine on my daughter's Surface pro 3.
I would recommend walking into any computer store with the copy of software and demo video and trying it there in test mode.
aaslundg

Post by aaslundg »

My system has a passmark score of only 2100 (Intel i3 4020). System works OK, except as mentioned before when going downhill above 50 km/h.