'Average' Speed is not the usual definition

Get answers to question about the software.
Mighty Malc

'Average' Speed is not the usual definition

Post by Mighty Malc »

I notice that after exactly 1 hour of riding when I have covered 30km my average speed (30km/hour) is displayed as about 32 km/hour! This is not a one-off fluke but the usual case of not being correct.
By Average speed I mean the number after the greek sigma symbol in the speedometer type display.

I presume the software is taking the average of the speed readouts over time, which is not the same as the standard definition of average speed.
Its OK to average power readings over time to get average power, but not ok to average speed readouts over time to get average speed.
The standard definition of average speed is total distance / total time.

Its not a big deal but nice to have it corrected at some point.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 'Average' Speed is not the usual definition

Post by admin »

Mighty Malc wrote:I notice that after exactly 1 hour of riding when I have covered 30km my average speed (30km/hour) is displayed as about 32 km/hour! This is not a one-off fluke but the usual case of not being correct.
By Average speed I mean the number after the greek sigma symbol in the speedometer type display.

I presume the software is taking the average of the speed readouts over time, which is not the same as the standard definition of average speed.
Its OK to average power readings over time to get average power, but not ok to average speed readouts over time to get average speed.
The standard definition of average speed is total distance / total time.

Its not a big deal but nice to have it corrected at some point.
Yes you are absolutely correct. Fixed and update posted. Need to be more careful with formulas
VeloReality Forum Administrator
Mighty Malc

Re: 'Average' Speed is not the usual definition

Post by Mighty Malc »

Rode this morning and average speed was correct.
Super - thanks.