Public domain RLV support?

Get answers to question about the software.
willhs

Public domain RLV support?

Post by willhs »

Quick question -- is it possible to play public domain RLVs in VeloReality? I can't seem to get them to load. I realize that the business model revolves around selling the videos, but there are a lot of very nice freely available RLVs that would compliment a library. Or, if someone wants to create an RLV from a video recording of their ride, it would be cool to be able to play it in VeloReality.

Thanks,
Will
admin
Site Admin

Re: Public domain RLV support?

Post by admin »

Nope. Not possible. As you so noticed our business model involves customers paying for videos so we can continue to do our work.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
willhs

Post by willhs »

Of course, it's your business. I would think that allowing people to play some lower quality public domain videos would help bring people in, much in the same way as allowing people to use their Tacx library, as you claim to want to do. I personally would pick up a few of the Veloreality videos that I want, but also use public domain videos. I think it is inconsistent to say that Tacx should let you use their videos, but other RLVs aren't allowed. And, a bit odd to push it as free software if nothing free can run on it. But again, it's your business.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Of course, it's your business. I would think that allowing people to play some lower quality public domain videos would help bring people in,

Maybe. But what it will bring for sure is lots of support calls for the products we have nothing to do with.

much in the same way as allowing people to use their Tacx library, as you claim to want to do.

If Tacx ever decides that it is of benefits to them as a company to let Veloreality play their videos (they own it and the ball is in their court) we might be able to arrange some kind of mutually financially beneficial deal that might be free to end customers.

I think it is inconsistent to say that Tacx should let you use their videos,

I did not say that "Tacx should let us ..." What was most likely said (I am not the one directly involved) is that we are open to such possibility and this was I believe conveyed to Tacx. Whether they take us up on this offer is entirely up to Tacx. We would of course fully respect either decision.

And, a bit odd to push it as free software if nothing free can run on it.

Workout part is completely free. We have whole bunch of people using our software just for that without ever paying us a single penny. We also do not charge money for our software on top of videos you pay for separately. So I can definitely sleep well and without feeling guilty about misrepresenting term FREE in regards to our software ;)

Finally I did not say that the possibility is completely off limits. Is is not supported now and definitely not the thought that occupies our minds. Who knows what might happen in the future.
rgurney

Post by rgurney »

You are so absolutely correct. Unlike Tacx, your software is free. Your videos are quite reasonably priced and the quality is better than that of Tacx as well. Keep up the good work, please. :D
willhs

Post by willhs »

If my post was read as snarky or disrespectful, it wasn't intended that way.

I was only suggesting that it might be a feature that brings in more users (i.e. me). I can't personally justify $500 for a library of videos, even though they are clearly the highest quality and most reasonably priced. However, if I could use the software to use all of my existing RLVs, and supplement with your videos, that would be something I would consider. Judging by the community of freely available RLV creators and users, it would probably get you more users by virtue of VRide being probably the best software out there, and with your relatively lower prices and higher quality you could then sell your videos to them. That user base is already on board with RLVs, so it would seem like a natural market for you. But, as I said, that's up to you.

That's all I was saying. The Tacx example was meant to draw a parallel to something else that someone from your company had mentioned wanting to do. I wasn't fishing for a bolded, italicized, red colored response out of that, so I apologize if any offense was taken.

Will
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

willhs wrote:
That's all I was saying. The Tacx example was meant to draw a parallel to something else that someone from your company had mentioned wanting to do.

Will
I think you mean me, I helped Tacx be the 1st trainer company to have a video based simulation back in 2003, I still have that original unfulfilled dream... ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If my post was read as snarky or disrespectful, it wasn't intended that way.

It was not taken that way.

I was only suggesting that it might be a feature that brings in more users (i.e. me). I can't personally justify $500 for a library of videos, even though they are clearly the highest quality and most reasonably priced. However, if I could use the software to use all of my existing RLVs, and supplement with your videos, that would be something I would consider. Judging by the community of freely available RLV creators and users, it would probably get you more users by virtue of VRide being probably the best software out there, and with your relatively lower prices and higher quality you could then sell your videos to them. That user base is already on board with RLVs, so it would seem like a natural market for you. But, as I said, that's up to you.

You might have a point here that is why the last sentence of my previous reply said that nothing is off limits but it is definitely not something that currently occupies our minds.

The Tacx example was meant to draw a parallel to something else that someone from your company had mentioned wanting to do. I wasn't fishing for a bolded, italicized, red colored response out of that, so I apologize if any offense was taken.

Bold red italic was used to visually emphasize my points and make it clear where we currently at since you already have some impression from what someone else said. Has nothing to do with any offensive meaning. It may have violated some unwritten etiquette that I am not aware of or is the result of English not being my native language/some cultural differences. Hopefully we are all adults and can understand/accept things like that happening in our big ever connected world ;)
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

rgurney wrote: the quality is better than that of Tacx as well. Keep up the good work, please. :D
This is true, Tacx require I use a older codec & that the rides be cut to 992pix height fit their HUD. Veloreality VRide is able to run the films in their native full HD 1080pix & in a slightly better codec & do it much smoother then Tacx Software which has been & still is a bit dreadful at running the rides.
willhs

Post by willhs »

Sounds good. I think we both got our points across. Keep up the great work on the software. I hope you consider RLV support in the future, perhaps as a paid upgrade? But either way, keep it up! Good software is difficult to find, and often is not well maintained, in this niche market.