analysing rides

Get answers to question about the software.
andy101

analysing rides

Post by andy101 »

I'm new to veloreality having been using Tacx TTS4 for the past 3 years. What do people recommend for analysing the rides in Veloreallty? I don't have Strava, but do have Garmin connect and importing the VR rides from the tcx files does not seem to go in correctly. The power creates a saw tooth effect and elevation is incorrect (HR and cadence are spot on)

TIA
admin
Site Admin

Re: analysing rides

Post by admin »

andy101 wrote:I'm new to veloreality having been using Tacx TTS4 for the past 3 years. What do people recommend for analysing the rides in Veloreallty? I don't have Strava, but do have Garmin connect and importing the VR rides from the tcx files does not seem to go in correctly. The power creates a saw tooth effect and elevation is incorrect (HR and cadence are spot on)

TIA
I think this might be related to your trainer. Maybe a signal loss. Email me your TCX file (kostya at veloreality dot com) and I will look at it.

For example this is my yesterday's ride on Colorado Riverbed video submitted to

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/451325288
and
Garmin Connect: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/984587279

Both look just fine. Also Strava basic is free so you can sign for it.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
andy101

Post by andy101 »

Thanks - uploaded to Garmin Connect and all looking good :-)
NoNoYankee

Post by NoNoYankee »

admin wrote:
andy101 wrote:I'm new to veloreality having been using Tacx TTS4 for the past 3 years. What do people recommend for analysing the rides in Veloreallty? I don't have Strava, but do have Garmin connect and importing the VR rides from the tcx files does not seem to go in correctly. The power creates a saw tooth effect and elevation is incorrect (HR and cadence are spot on)

TIA
I think this might be related to your trainer. Maybe a signal loss. Email me your TCX file (kostya at veloreality dot com) and I will look at it.

For example this is my yesterday's ride on Colorado Riverbed video submitted to

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/451325288
and
Garmin Connect: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/984587279

Both look just fine. Also Strava basic is free so you can sign for it.
I have difficulty to understand how both elevation profile can be considered "looking fine" . Below/Attached is what I see when reaching your URL. Are they not quite diferent ? Ijust did CapCorse and get something like the Strava profile below and not sure it can be trusted ? Can it ?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (59.21 KiB) Viewed 18248 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

NoNoYankee wrote:I have difficulty to understand how both elevation profile can be considered "looking fine" . Below/Attached is what I see when reaching your URL. Are they not quite diferent ? Ijust did CapCorse and get something like the Strava profile below and not sure it can be trusted ? Can it ?
He was referring to to a sawtooth pattern. My ride does not have anything like that defect.

As to your example - our data file contains elevation derived from barometric altimeter. The file can not magically transform itself when being fed to GC/Strava/Whatever else, it is always the same. When the same data are being fed to two different services and they show different results you should not be asking me why. You should be asking them instead.

For hint you might read this thread: https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2559 ... nd-Strava-

From this thread you can see Strava using their own secret sauce and ignores our data for TCX files and it does the opposite on FIT files. Why on earth would they do anything like this is beyond my comprehension. Garmin has option to display elevation data as submitted or again using their other secret sauce. So it is entirely up to you who do you want to trust.

You can do some more Googling on the subject. Plenty of info about the subject in search results.

What is important for us is not the absolute elevation value but rather road grade information which in our case is way better then you ever gonna get from Strava.
Shane

Post by Shane »

On elevation data
I uploaded ride of: 1) alpe dhuez climb and 2) Paterburg loop x4 to Garmin Connect and Strava

Garmin
Alpe: OK albeit with a few small downhills which I;m not sure I remember!
Looks perfect on Paterberg.

Strava
OK for Alpe Dhuez (but map is small so cannot be certain of small variations)
Completely wrong for Paterburg - bears no relation to reality whatsoever.

So the TCX data seems good but indicates an import/algorithm problem indicated on the Strava side.

In both cases HR and Power data seem to look identical.

I am new to Strava but it seems fairly limitedfor ride analysis (unless premium) while Garmin connect at least lets you see the data in detail.
Shane
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

Shane wrote:On elevation data
I uploaded ride of: 1) alpe dhuez climb and 2) Paterburg loop x4 to Garmin Connect and Strava

Garmin
Alpe: OK albeit with a few small downhills which I;m not sure I remember!
Looks perfect on Paterberg.

Strava
OK for Alpe Dhuez (but map is small so cannot be certain of small variations)
Completely wrong for Paterburg - bears no relation to reality whatsoever.

So the TCX data seems good but indicates an import/algorithm problem indicated on the Strava side.

In both cases HR and Power data seem to look identical.

I am new to Strava but it seems fairly limitedfor ride analysis (unless premium) while Garmin connect at least lets you see the data in detail.
Shane
There are no descents on l'Alpe d'Huez if you see this on the profile then its pulling its own alt data from landsat which is data taken from space.
Shane

Post by Shane »

"There are no descents on l'Alpe d'Huez if you see this on the profile then its pulling its own alt data from landsat which is data taken from space."

yes I agree of course. My legs would have appreciated the break if they were real descents!

Turning on/off Altitude corrections in Garmin had no impact on profile.

Same TCX from Alpe route into
MyGPSFiles and
Bike Route Toaster

result is both are much smoother/realistic with no descents.

Basically I'm demonstrating your point to original poster: that its 3rd parties doing funny things to the data in the TCX. And Strava seems less reliable on this front.
Shane
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Shane wrote:I am new to Strava but it seems fairly limitedfor ride analysis (unless premium) while Garmin connect at least lets you see the data in detail.
Shane
For ride analysis I would recommend Golden Cheetah. Does not depend on Internet and free ;)
Bradox78

Post by Bradox78 »

GoldenCheetah is perfect to analyze rides.

I know the "real" Alpe d'Huez climb very well (15 climbs to date). The elevation data of the Alpe d'Huez climb out of the Veloreality "Marmotte part 4" video are very accurate. ;)

On this subject, see my post concerning the Lynx VR trainer :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141
Lynx VR Trainer v1 - PowerTap G3 Alloy Rear Wheel - Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor and heart rate monitor - Dynastream ANTUSB-m stick - Asus Vivo PC X (Intel Core i5-7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1060, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Win10 64 bits).