Spurious purple square 'avatar' icon

Get answers to question about the software.
Mighty Malc

Spurious purple square 'avatar' icon

Post by Mighty Malc »

I have just purchased Colorado River and rode it for the first time (very nice). Note first time is important because it definitely means there are no previous segment performances knocking around.

Previous performances on a segment normally give you a little coloured square icon coloured the same as the segment on the left at the top with a vertical line connecting it to the segment. A square when previous performance goes at the same speed as your current ride, and a forward or backward facing triangle otherwise.
Like these icons, there was a little purple square icon as I started which was sometimes a few metres in front of me and sometimes a few metres behind. It accompanied me like this for the duration (and beyond) of a yellow 10 mile segment I was riding. Always a purple square.

When in front of me there was no circle in front of me on the video display like an avatar (online rider) in front of me would produce. So I am sure it was not an online rider.
And when I went to Gaspe 12 afterwards exactly the same thing happened - so it would be an amazing coincidence if online riders were suddenly stalking me on different courses (and not shown on the network riders map either).
So the purple square seems spurious as neither a previous performance nor another online rider.
However fast or slow I went the purple square stayed very close to me. So it behaves like an 'avatar' doing pretty close to my current performance.
My guess is the latest software segment changes have introduced it as a bug - I have only seen it this week.

Not a big deal because you can ignore it. But it would be nice to have this spurious square icon removed.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Spurious purple square 'avatar' icon

Post by admin »

That thing has nothing to do with previous performances. it is your own position after round trip through the network. you can judge latency by comparing it's position to a white stripe representing local one. When you do not have live riders in close proximity the latency is greater since the frequency of data broadcast decreases. As you said you can just simply ignore it but is is not a bug so won't get "fixed"

It is useful when you ride against/with live opponents.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
KeithD

Post by KeithD »

I wondered what that was. Interesting thanks
ghetto

Post by ghetto »

I was going to ask the same question. I'm not sure I totally understand the answer or point of it, but never mind at least we now know.