VRide network status

Get answers to question about the software.
andy101

VRide network status

Post by andy101 »

Hi, I'm new to Veloreality (transitioning from Tacx TTS4). I've set everything up and the demo video, but the vride network status is constantly saying 'Connecting' with a yelloewbar and regularly going red for a brief flash stating 'Timeout'

Any ideas?

TIA
admin
Site Admin

Re: VRide network status

Post by admin »

It means severe UDP datagram loss/big latency or some pecularities of your router that does not let UDP packets through. Are you on wireless connection? It will not affect your riding but you will have troubles seeing online competitors.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
andy101

Post by andy101 »

It's on a wired connection and I've checked it with firewall off too.

I'll double check the router but everything else works fine at around 40Mbs
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

andy101 wrote:It's on a wired connection and I've checked it with firewall off too.

I'll double check the router but everything else works fine at around 40Mbs
Maybe it is NAT playing games? Try for a short time to set your computer as DMZ or enable direct communication on UDP port 7100 or try pinging
address 184.68.72.82 and see what's the average latency/loss? Also what software version are you running: should be 1.5.0.33
andy101

Post by andy101 »

Thanks - I've had a play and the problem is linked to my hub router firewall - if I switch the firewall off or set it to Low Protection everything works fine.

I'm not sure what the risk of doing this is though so will do some more research on the hub and any exposures it could have by setting a lower level of protection
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

andy101 wrote:Thanks - I've had a play and the problem is linked to my hub router firewall - if I switch the firewall off or set it to Low Protection everything works fine.

I'm not sure what the risk of doing this is though so will do some more research on the hub and any exposures it could have by setting a lower level of protection

There are general agreements on how NAT router services should handle UBP packet transfer for game like apps of which veloreality is. It is not a requirements and obviously your router has it's own idea about it. If it behaved as it should there would be no real loss of security. Try setting exception for just one computer, one protocol (UDP) on single port 7100. That of course might change in the future
andy101

Post by andy101 »

Many Thanks - I've reset the hub and lowered the security - all seems to be good now. I tried setting the port for a single IP address but that didn't work (probably the hub!)

Looking forward to riding with someone else soon :-)