Features

Get answers to question about the software.
charliedurrant

Features

Post by charliedurrant »

Hi again,

I just wanted to confirm a couple of features which are not in the system and, I'm not missing them, something I could easily be doing!

1) Is there a way to select previous rides to ride against? This was a feature I loved about TTS. I understand there is an automatic feature which picks 10 recent rides however when I rode the same custom route again nobody else was present.
2) Is there a way to stop the ride repeating after I finish?

Feature suggestions

a) Ride creation
I wanted to replicate an old ride from Tacx Alpine Classic 2007 (Col du Telegraph). I could scroll the video in Media Player just fine to find the start and end time from the 2nd video of your Marmotte series. However when I went back to VRide I could not enter the appropriate times. I could scroll to the position however this was slow and took about 20 minutes of fiddling since I think for every frame the system retrieves the profile info. Would it be possible to enter times and disable the profile preview so the scrolling performs at speed?

Interesting

Once I found the start and end points to match Tacx's Col du Telegraph I created it but was confused as the Tacx version says it's 8.3KM. Visually the start and ends points were the same (bar a few meters) but VRide had the ride as 11.9KM. I rode the ride and my time was approximately 50% more than normal so I did ride for 1.5 times more than on the Tacx ride. So, Tacx must be right no? So I go and look up the Col du Telegraph profile and from:

http://www.cyclinglocations.com/wp-cont ... ofiles.jpg

It comes up as 11.9KM, so TACX chopped a bit out as there's only one way up!

Charlie
admin
Site Admin

Re: Features

Post by admin »

1) Is there a way to select previous rides to ride against? This was a feature I loved about TTS. I understand there is an automatic feature which picks 10 recent rides however when I rode the same custom route again nobody else was present.

Rides are recorded against segments (those pesky horizontal bars you see on rides). Next time you ride over any segment your previous performance will be shown as an opponent. The logic of keeping last 10 performances has been improved but it is not published yet. (It is about to be).

We want to do more about segments but we will keep it under tarp for a little while but few nice things likely to come very soon.

2) Is there a way to stop the ride repeating after I finish? - Currently now but that option can be easily added. You probably want to "stop the ride repeating" but rather stop recording as single contiguous piece. We had that functionality befor and can easily restore it.

Feature suggestions

I could scroll to the position however this was slow and took about 20 minutes of fiddling since I think for every frame the system retrieves the profile info. Would it be possible to enter times and disable the profile preview so the scrolling performs at speed?

I am not sure what system you're using but on my modest laptop scrolling is nearly instant. Display of profile does not impose ANY measurable performance hit (it is Direct2D hardware accelerated display). as for visual precision you can easily expand ride area horizontally to a full screen.

Again if you want I can look at your system to see what's going on. Install Teamviewer and get me on Skype
VeloReality Forum Administrator
charliedurrant

Post by charliedurrant »

Thanks for the reply and the details.
I am not sure what system you're using but on my modest laptop scrolling is nearly instant. Display of profile does not impose ANY measurable performance hit (it is Direct2D hardware accelerated display). as for visual precision you can easily expand ride area horizontally to a full screen.

Again if you want I can look at your system to see what's going on. Install Teamviewer and get me on Skype
I agree, lets do Teamweaver etc - these things are always easier when viewed. Even when the scrolling area is expanded I was finding it hard to be precise for a video that was so long.

The system is in a bike shop so the access hours are limited. I'm available:

Thurs - Sat - 08:00 till 17:00 UK time

So we'll need to agree a time which meets the time zone differences and yours and my availability.

Once again this software is just great and the video quality is crazy. The shop just installed a 40 inch screen the videos are so good!

Charlie
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

charliedurrant wrote: Interesting

Once I found the start and end points to match Tacx's Col du Telegraph I created it but was confused as the Tacx version says it's 8.3KM. Visually the start and ends points were the same (bar a few meters) but VRide had the ride as 11.9KM. I rode the ride and my time was approximately 50% more than normal so I did ride for 1.5 times more than on the Tacx ride. So, Tacx must be right no? So I go and look up the Col du Telegraph profile and from:

http://www.cyclinglocations.com/wp-cont ... ofiles.jpg

It comes up as 11.9KM, so TACX chopped a bit out as there's only one way up!

Charlie
Yes there was a section cut from the 2007 version of the Telegraphe (Tacx Alpine Classic 2007)! Perhaps later on a map could be added to the ride information page so you can easily find the location you want to start a ride rather then endlessly scroll. Its not a priority just yet, but you have raised a good point!
charliedurrant

Post by charliedurrant »

admin wrote: Rides are recorded against segments (those pesky horizontal bars you see on rides). Next time you ride over any segment your previous performance will be shown as an opponent. The logic of keeping last 10 performances has been improved but it is not published yet. (It is about to be).

We want to do more about segments but we will keep it under tarp for a little while but few nice things likely to come very soon.
All I want is to select previous rides for the same course and compete against them. I've got about 20 people in the bike shop that miss this feature. My performance goes up and down like a yo yo and I want to be able to select times for my range that day. It would be lovely to see the times of all uses and select whomever I want. This is a la TTS3 TTS4 but it was pretty much my only use case,
admin wrote: 2) Is there a way to stop the ride repeating after I finish? - Currently now but that option can be easily added. You probably want to "stop the ride repeating" but rather stop recording as single contiguous piece. We had that functionality befor and can easily restore it.
I just want to stop the ride repeating. After an hour up hill I just want it to stop as I can barely touch the keyboard. As a suggestion a dialog could pop up before the ride asking what you want and remember your last choice (auto repeat or stop after 1 lap)

admin wrote: I am not sure what system you're using but on my modest laptop scrolling is nearly instant. Display of profile does not impose ANY measurable performance hit (it is Direct2D hardware accelerated display). as for visual precision you can easily expand ride area horizontally to a full screen.
I want to be able to select start and end points easily - it's not so easy as the scroll bar can only offer granuality to a degree over a 25mile video.

And there ends my 'requirements'!!! :oops:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All I want is to select previous rides for the same course and compete against them. I've got about 20 people in the bike shop that miss this feature. My performance goes up and down like a yo yo and I want to be able to select times for my range that day.

First of all what constitutes course and who defines it? We have some ideas but those ideas relate more or less to have all that functionality as online service. Also we got lot of different suggestions from different people about things like that so basically we have to translate their free form desires into some technically meaningful requirements. If you want to participate I've already offered a way to communicate to me in more efficient manner (Skype). I do not think it is such a bit hurdle. Otherwise we can be exchanging messages for months. Also I am forwarding this conversation to our sales. Maybe they can help.

I just want to stop the ride repeating. After an hour up hill I just want it to stop as I can barely touch the keyboard.

As I already said something will be done about it. Rather sooner than later. For now you can just stop pedaling.

I want to be able to select start and end points easily - it's not so easy as the scroll bar can only offer granuality to a degree over a 25mile video.

In addition to scroll bar there are up/down buttons with autorepeat ability and precision down to 1m (if you have better suggestions I am more then willing to listen):

And there ends my 'requirements'!!! :oops:[/quote]
bauer

Post by bauer »

Charlie, are you after something like:
- pre-defined segments or segments you define yourself?
- last 10-20 (x) times you rode that segment
- best 10 times for segment
- average 10 times for segment
we really will try to support this if we can see the request clearly
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

bauer wrote:Charlie, are you after something like:
- pre-defined segments or segments you define yourself?
- last 10-20 (x) times you rode that segment
- best 10 times for segment
- average 10 times for segment
we really will try to support this if we can see the request clearly
I think the forum is the perfect place to flesh out feature requests with the actual users. ;)

I read his post as he just simply wants to be able to race another riders performance. Same as in Tacx Bikenet, Strava etc. VRide is recording the segment performance data locally but there is no way yet to share them. I can imagine in a shop they would probably want to be able to show a result list for the 20 customers he has on probably one of our famous hills/mountains :) . I suspect from reading his posts that he would love to be able to define his own start & end points.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Is it possible to create some kind of leaderboard.
So we could see how much miles/km we have cycled.
The meters/feet we have climbed.

These small things motivate me to "ride on"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VeloReality Video wrote:I think the forum is the perfect place to flesh out feature requests with the actual users. ;)
It might be "perfect way" for users to ask for something initially/share some ideas. And for some things it can be very simple (I want feature A, yes sire we will/will not do it). However most users are not technical and might not realize that sometimes seemingly simple things are not that simple and can cause conflicting tech requirements. This means that as the person who actually creates the software I might have whole bunch of questions that require some back and forth Q/A exchange. If done over the forum it might take weeks and I have zero interest to adjust my development/design schedules to that of an arbitrary user and wait days until I get answer to my question and by the time I get it if ever I've already lost my interest/forgot about it/implemented something but in a different way/whatever else. What I am willing to do is to have a reasonably short live conversation, extract the info I need and then decide do I do it at all and if yes then how and when, maybe merge with some other ideas/requirements and then stick it in my development schedule.