Feedback on my experience

Get answers to question about the software.
DickHeijkoop

Feedback on my experience

Post by DickHeijkoop »

Good day, I recently became aware of the VeloReality software which I downloaded last week as well as I bought the Ventoux video.
The main reason for downloading for me was the VR and the supposed video quality. And I have to say that I was really impressed, also about the smoothness of the video. Very impressive!

Kindly allow me to give you the following feedback.
Problems faced:
1. Started the Ventoux from beginning and till 18,7 km distance I had about 20+ hiccups in the connection - this could be easily seen, as the video stopped and no update in the speed and power. This last from 1 to 5 seconds approx. During this short hiccup, there was no drop in resistance.
2. At 18,7 km distance there was a hiccup again, now more serious, also the resistance dropped suddenly, and it never came back properly again. At that time I was riding at gear 30/25 @ 280Watt; after the resistance drop, at this gear the power was very low. Only by going to higher gear, I came back to 250-300 watt. The dear needed was 39/17 or 39/15. Remarkebly also the speed changed - before it was about 10 KM/h, after this it was 30 Km/h at about 280 Watt. After 1 KM I decided to quit the ride.
--> For debugging purposes, please let me know if there is an extensive logging option available or otherwise to gain better knowledge on what could happed to find the cause

Ideas for additional functionality
A. It would be great to have the possibility to save the (video) workouts and save (export) these workouts as GPX files to import in Strava. As far as I can see, this is not possible?
B. I couldn't find a pause function - once you click on one of the other tabs, the video stops and you have to start over again (although you can start somewhere in the video) - e.g. I wanted to change something in the grade reduction, but that cant easily be done during the video workout, as far as I could see. Would be great to have such a pause function
C. There is quite an extensive list of trainer pre-specified, however I couldn't find the Wahoo KICKR. Is this trainer fully supported, do I have to add something specific for this trainer?
D. In the video screen, I missing a progress indicator as well what is ahead. In reality one dont have either :-)

Data
- iMac 2011 (2,8Ghz Intel Core i5, 8Gb RAM), running Windows7 in Bootcamp (no emulators)
- Trainer: Wahoo KICKR connected via ANT+
- Also Garmin SPD/Cadens sensor as well as HR strap connected via ANT+
- I am using the Suunto ministick ANT+ adapter
- The ANT+ adapter was < 1,5 meter from the KICKR

Appreciate your reply, thanks.
Kind regards, Dick
VeloReality Video

Re: Feedback on my experience

Post by VeloReality Video »

DickHeijkoop wrote:Good day, I recently became aware of the VeloReality software which I downloaded last week as well as I bought the Ventoux video.
The main reason for downloading for me was the VR and the supposed video quality. And I have to say that I was really impressed, also about the smoothness of the video. Very impressive!

Kindly allow me to give you the following feedback.
Problems faced:
1. Started the Ventoux from beginning and till 18,7 km distance I had about 20+ hiccups in the connection - this could be easily seen, as the video stopped and no update in the speed and power. This last from 1 to 5 seconds approx. During this short hiccup, there was no drop in resistance.
2. At 18,7 km distance there was a hiccup again, now more serious, also the resistance dropped suddenly, and it never came back properly again. At that time I was riding at gear 30/25 @ 280Watt; after the resistance drop, at this gear the power was very low. Only by going to higher gear, I came back to 250-300 watt. The dear needed was 39/17 or 39/15. Remarkebly also the speed changed - before it was about 10 KM/h, after this it was 30 Km/h at about 280 Watt. After 1 KM I decided to quit the ride.
--> For debugging purposes, please let me know if there is an extensive logging option available or otherwise to gain better knowledge on what could happed to find the cause

Ideas for additional functionality
A. It would be great to have the possibility to save the (video) workouts and save (export) these workouts as GPX files to import in Strava. As far as I can see, this is not possible?
B. I couldn't find a pause function - once you click on one of the other tabs, the video stops and you have to start over again (although you can start somewhere in the video) - e.g. I wanted to change something in the grade reduction, but that cant easily be done during the video workout, as far as I could see. Would be great to have such a pause function
C. There is quite an extensive list of trainer pre-specified, however I couldn't find the Wahoo KICKR. Is this trainer fully supported, do I have to add something specific for this trainer?
D. In the video screen, I missing a progress indicator as well what is ahead. In reality one dont have either :-)

Data
- iMac 2011 (2,8Ghz Intel Core i5, 8Gb RAM), running Windows7 in Bootcamp (no emulators)
- Trainer: Wahoo KICKR connected via ANT+
- Also Garmin SPD/Cadens sensor as well as HR strap connected via ANT+
- I am using the Suunto ministick ANT+ adapter
- The ANT+ adapter was < 1,5 meter from the KICKR

Kind regards, Dick
Hi Dick

It sounds like Ant+ connection issue with the Kickr, make sure your Ant+ stick is close to the trainer (no more then 1.5meters) . What you can try is going to the settings tab & when your trainer is connected everything should go green, click learn & then remember to click save (it will now be highlighted green to help you remember!). If your stick is on the rear of your PC it could be this. Try not to use a USB hub, ideal is a USB cable extender to a port that has a direct link to the motherboard. Then you can place the stick really close to the trainer where interference cant become a factor.

other points

A: We have a pdf with detailed instructions but we also need a quick get started sheet, the software is simple but it works in a way where many things just work rather then the traditional buttons to click. All your data is saved as tcx as soon as you leave the ride screen & return to the ride menu ;-) Just open the Data folder that you will now see next to the program exe inside that will be a users folder & inside this will be a folder with your name....inside this will be your tcx files which you can join if you wanted with various 3rd party programs like topofusion. All the data metrics are recorded in these files & they can be uploaded with the GPS data to Garmin Connect Wko etc.

B: This is a good point & we will look at this, its something we have talked about before. But for now try to look at the grade reduction setting in the same way you would when selecting gears in real life. The setting works as if you have virtual gears so reducing the cap to start at 5% in effect gets you lower gears as soon as you hit any grade above 5% Your speed will be virtual then so do not feel its cheating.

C:The software knows what trainer you have if its Lynx, Computrainer or Kickr. You do not need to pick it in the list as this is only for virtual watts & you have real watts. Its the same deal if you have a wireless power meter, the software will use the watts from this & generate the correct virtual speed, you dont need to select anything

D: Click your numpad keys 1 - 4 & you will see the profile & a selection of different screens including two with the grade profile which at the moment have a feature that zooms in near your location, As soon as the next features are finished (ability to link rides, save & ride previous:downloaded performances/ segments) there will be some more screen display options including one with as much data as we can think up & a screen with no data at all for those that just want to be there in the film! If there are display ideas you want to see added this is the perfect place!

I would contact support http://veloreality.com/contact/ for a debug version, but first try to get a better connection if you suspect it could be a reason.
DickHeijkoop

Post by DickHeijkoop »

Good day again, thank you very much for your reply.

On the connection. I'll try what I can improve. Currently I have a 1 meter USB cable connected to USB Hub (http://www.satechi.net/index.php/satech ... 4-port-usb); I will connect the ANT+ plug directly to USB port at the back of the Mac. Currently the distance from ANT+ adapter to KICKR is less then 1,5 meter. Also: I have been doing 7-10 workouts with TrainerRoad on OSX, without a single connection problem, same hardware setup - so I am a bit reluctant to believe that this is caused by connection issues. I'll see to find a longer extension cable (3 meter).

A & D: typically RTFM :)
B: OK thanks. The thing is that over 10% I am going to stall pretty quickly ;) I need to protect myself. Over 10% I am in highest gear (30/28) :?
C: OK

Happy holidays, cheers
Dick
VeloReality Video

DickHeijkoop wrote: B: OK thanks. The thing is that over 10% I am going to stall pretty quickly ;) I need to protect myself. Over 10% I am in highest gear (30/28) :?
Dick
Try using the Grade Reduction tool to give your self extra gears (virtual ones) before you set off up the Mortirolo, Ventoux etc! The default now is 5% to 15% So 20% grade feels like 15% & anything below 5% will have you in the same gear as in real life. But you can if you want reduce the 1st number down further & enjoy easier feeling hills all the time! The great thing about the tool is that it allows you to still feel the grades steepen but the amount will be more subtle. If you never want to feel any grades over 10% then you could reduce the 2nd slider (max grade) down to 10%

Its just gears so really your not going to be able to get up the climbs any faster ;)
dougleybourne

Post by dougleybourne »

DickHeijkoop wrote: Ideas for additional functionality

Kind regards, Dick
Hi Dick

Point A I use Sports Tracks 3 not Strava, but I do not imagine that the routine will be much different. Go to your Programme, click on "Import" (there has to be sucha a button), I presume you will then be asked to show the file that you want to import so go to the Folder where you have your exe file, locate "Data" and click on Data/Users/Your name/rides_export and then click on the one that you wish to import.

Point B I think that this is correct, only click pause to leave your ride for some reason - a drink perhaps - and than restart.

Point C I am reliably informed that KICKR is indeed fully supported with similar functionality to the ultimate dream of a LYNX. I cannot comment since I use a Tacx Bushido which is not supported so the brake mechanism is not adjusted by the programmme. All that I can, and do, do is gear up and pedal harder and faster. Not as neat as it should be but still a good workout.

Point D The progress indicator is shown at the bottom of the screen, adjust it to any of the four available styles with your keyboard.

Happy riding, nice to see someone else enjoying themselves. I felt lonely - see my earlier post.

Regards Doug
DickHeijkoop

Post by DickHeijkoop »

Good day!
Thank you Doug for your input, appreciated.
I'd like to give some feedback on the connection issues I reported in my earlier post.
What I did since then is this
1. I am now using a 3 meter extension cable. The ANT+ adapter is now at/on the KICKR < 10cm - its almost wired now :-)
2. The extension cable is plugged in directly on the Mac, not via an USB Hub
3. I was using Spotify as well as Airfoil to stream audio to my amplifier on the same machine as I was running veloreality. Just to be sure I did not run these programs as well.

Since then I have done two rides. first partly (about an hour) and the second almost completely (started a few km before the actual climb.
First ride: no connection issues. Awesome! (http://www.strava.com/activities/103031936)
Second ride: about 12 drops in connection, but all restored very quickly - no major disruption in the ride. Very beautiful. When uploading into strave, I noticed the ride started somewhere in the ocean south of Ghana :-)
(http://www.strava.com/activities/103965004)

Let me know if you can send me a debug version to help analyse the issue.
Awesome program, lovely VR. Good control of the KICKR (apart from the connection drops)

Thanks
Dick
DickHeijkoop

Post by DickHeijkoop »

On the second ride: I had a closer look in the tcx file (XML) and the first two trackpoints had 0,0 as position for logitude and latitude. I deleted those two points and uploaded again to strava, and now its looking much better.
http://www.strava.com/activities/104028251 - the other ride is no longer available.
VeloReality Video

DickHeijkoop wrote:On the second ride: I had a closer look in the tcx file (XML) and the first two trackpoints had 0,0 as position for logitude and latitude. I deleted those two points and uploaded again to strava, and now its looking much better.
http://www.strava.com/activities/104028251 - the other ride is no longer available.
I will take a look at the data file, but for the drop outs I wonder do you have also a Ant+ cadence sensor? Amazing your getting this data onto Strava i had thought they were filtering our trainer derived data, the times should be accurate still but its never going to be as real as being there especially on the high Cols where altitude also play a huge role.
VeloReality Video

Ive looked at the data, rebuilt the file, can you try it out? https://veloreality.s3.amazonaws.com/Ne ... oux_1.vlrd (just place this into the folder that contains the video file & let it replace the other one)
DickHeijkoop

Post by DickHeijkoop »

Hi, certainly, hopefully I will be able to ride the Ventoux again on Saturday. But what is this new file going to solve?
On the ANT+ sensor: yes I am using a Cadence (and HR strap) sensor from Garmin (GSC 10).