Distance different to my Garmin Edge500

Get answers to question about the software.
amaguire

Distance different to my Garmin Edge500

Post by amaguire »

VeloReality uses my garmin cadence/speed sensor to display cadence, speed, distance. I also have my garmin edge500 running for my training sessions. For any session, the total distance/average speed is always larger for the VeloReality file compared to my garmin edge 500 file. For example, today I did a 42 minute session. The veloreality file shows a total distance of 19.93km, whereas my garmin file shows 17.96km. I have set the wheel setting the same for both, 2096mm. Does anyone know why I am getting different results?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Distance different to my Garmin Edge500

Post by admin »

VeloReality uses my garmin cadence/speed sensor to display cadence, SPEED, DISTANCE...

1) Veloreality absolutely does not use speed,distance coming from your ANT+ sensor.
2) ALL our speed/distance related calculations are based on POWER only. The power
is reported by either by trainer and/or power meter. Speed/distance coming from sensors is ignored in this case.
3) Only in case if you use so called "dumb (not electronically controlled trainer" and do not have power meter we would use speed coming from ANT+ sensor but it will be immediately converted to power using our super duper special formulas but in this case the accuracy is way less as if you used power meter directly.
4) All the rest of the calculations are done on a basis of input power, weight, road grade, rolling resistance etc.etc. Your Garmin does no know any of those parameters. It shows you current speed/distance based of your wheel revolutions while we show you a speed/distance you would have in particular conditions at particular power.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
amaguire

Post by amaguire »

I am only getting back now to check my post. I do not have a powermeter and my trainer is dumb (not electronic). So the speed and distance is taken from my gsc10 and wheel dimensions I entered. I am still can't figure out why the average speed and total distance is different between my vr file and garmin fit file. Any thoughts?

Also, would be a nice feature to receive an email to responses of posts I create.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am still can't figure out why the average speed and total distance is different between my vr file and garmin fit file. Any thoughts?

It is already explained in #4. Lemme try again. Your garmin show your actual wheel speed. It knows nothing of your weight/road grade/other parmeters. But we do and we recalculate speed using laws cycling physics. Something like this: let's say your garmin shows speed of XXX m/s. Your trainer curve shows that at that speed you are producing YYY watts. Taking into account your weight, current road grade we can then calculate that at YYY watts you will be moving at ZZZ m/s speed.

Also, would be a nice feature to receive an email to responses of posts I create

When you composing message there is an "Options" section below. In that section there is a checkbox that says "Notify me when a reply is posted"
VeloReality Forum Administrator
amaguire

Post by amaguire »

Thanks Admin. That helps me understand.