Runtime error 231 at 0000000000240E677

Get answers to question about the software.
rncrowhurst

Runtime error 231 at 0000000000240E677

Post by rncrowhurst »

Hello

Since yesterday vride has been throwing an interesting error with message "Runtime error 231 at 0000000000240E677" replicating all down the screen and what looks like a prior message titled "vride" and with message content "TvlrRlvDataEq.RangeCheck: invalid index" (assuming I copied the characters correctly).

I have seen something like this before and think I saw a solution in these forums but did not find it on a search of the forum just now.

To correct this yesterday I copied everything as a backup and then deleted everything except my videos the first time it occurred. I then downloaded a new zip file and placed in the my E:\VeloReality directory (which contains my Videos in E:\VeloReality\Videos). The program seemed to run fine so I copied back in my ride exports, rides and segperf directories. I then ran vride and it started with out issues and I feed in my details again but did not actually do a ride.

However, when attempting to run it today the same error occurred. I repeated the process but this time only copied back in my rides and ride_exports directories after entering my details registering again and changing my grade reduction settings. I ran a test mode of a video and it seems to work. I opened and closed vride sever times and it started without issue.

I am just wondering what the possible cause might be and what is the best solution to follow if it happens again. Deleting and re-installing is not difficult but I certainly would like to keep older rides and ride_exports if possible or is it better just to dump them (I upload to Strava anyway).

Apologies if this is a duplicate post and a solution to this issue documented elsewhere in this forum.

Ross
admin
Site Admin

Re: Runtime error 231 at 0000000000240E677

Post by admin »

This is an error while trying to read one of the video definition files. Is your E: drive external? I had problem like this with another client and it was the result of drive being corrupted. The corruption happened because he kept connecting/disconecting the drive without using "safely remove the hardware feature".

The best thing is to keep the software v_ride.x64.exe somewhere on system drive. Better for performance and safety. Also there is no need to remove the old rides. They're not being loaded or otherwise touched during operation of the software.

What I would love to do since you have made the backup is to restore you system to the state where I can catch this error and fix it (unless it is drive corruption of course)

For this I need to look at your system. If you can contact me as described in http://veloreality.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94 I can find out what is really happenning.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
rncrowhurst

Post by rncrowhurst »

Thanks for prompt reply. I will follow instruction you posted on contacting you.

No, the drive is not a USB drive but a second HDD inside my laptop. My actual system drive is an SSD but it does not have space for the videos. This drive is a 1 Tb Toshida SATA and was the original drive supplied with the laptop but I had the supplier add in an SSD at purchase time.

If you think it is a fault video file then it might be very relevant is that I purchased a 20 video bundle and downloaded them all and obtained licenses the day before this error happened. It may be that one of the videos downloaded is corrupted then. Do you provide or have MD5 checksums for the downloaded files? If so I can use them to check the integrity of the downloaded files.

Unfortunately I think I might have misguided you as to "backing up everything" - I only copied the directory I use for my VeloReality directory (without Videosdirectory) so do not really have a full system back up to restore.

I am installing TeamViewer and then will attempt to contact you via Skype but if you have the MD5s then I can also check those for all my videos.
rncrowhurst

Post by rncrowhurst »

Hi

Tried Skype contact but no answer. However that is not a problem as I am in different time zones (I am in New Zealand) and more so I think the issue may be resolved.

When it happened the "Getting Updates" then "Install Updates" came up. When the software updates in the past it normally disappears momentarily on "Install Updates" and then restarts/reappears but it did not do that the time and stayed visible the whole time when the error started occurring. I forgot to put this in the original post.

Anyway, I cleaned out everything but my Videos and put the vride back in from a zip file, ran it and it installed updates no problem. I then entered my data, re-connected my Tacx Bushido Smart trainer via ANT+ Devices | Search. I then rode about 30 seconds to 1 minute on several of the 20 movie bundle I just got. All worked fine for this short test.

I am therefore thinking that something must have happened when vride was doing "Getting Updates" \ "Install Updates" which maybe corrupted something but this is just conjecture on my part. However, with a clean install the software looks to be working okay now.

I now have your Skype contact and have installed TeamViewer and will use these to contact you if the problem returns. Otherwise I think it may be resolved and want to thank you again for the very prompt reply and directions on how to contact you directly.

Ross
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When it happened the "Getting Updates" then "Install Updates" came up. When the software updates in the past it normally disappears momentarily on "Install Updates" and then restarts/reappears

It "disappears" when the actual executable is updated so the software need to restart.Other times it get updates like video definitions, nickname tables etc.etc. For this sorts of updates it does not need to restart.

If it was a single file that got corrupted during download then since you already reinstalled it it is fine now. However it could've been corrupted because of bad sector (I had that happen too).

I only copied the directory I use for my VeloReality directory (without Videosdirectory)

That is all I need
VeloReality Forum Administrator