Cadence Counting Around 50% When Climbing

Get answers to question about the software.
ghetto

Cadence Counting Around 50% When Climbing

Post by ghetto »

I did the main climb of Ventoux 1, starting from just before the 18km point. All the time I was climbing (2 hours), cadence count was reported low, I think at about 50% of the true rate. I verified this with some cadence counts on my own timings. I spin at around 85-95RPM, the count was mostly in the 40s.

As soon as I turned around at the top and started the descent to Chalet Reynard this corrected and showed me cadence that felt accurate, so the issue was only when climbing.

I'm on a TACX Vortex Smart.

Hope that helps. I've ridden Zwift which has flat sections and climbs on the same trainer, I never noticed this problem but I'll check next time.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cadence Counting Around 50% When Climbing

Post by admin »

ghetto wrote:I did the main climb of Ventoux 1, starting from just before the 18km point. All the time I was climbing (2 hours), cadence count was reported low, I think at about 50% of the true rate. I verified this with some cadence counts on my own timings. I spin at around 85-95RPM, the count was mostly in the 40s.

As soon as I turned around at the top and started the descent to Chalet Reynard this corrected and showed me cadence that felt accurate, so the issue was only when climbing.

I'm on a TACX Vortex Smart.

Hope that helps. I've ridden Zwift which has flat sections and climbs on the same trainer, I never noticed this problem but I'll check next time.
Software shows cadence reported by trainer. I have Vortex Smart and and also real cadence meter. Under less then perfect conditions the difference between 2 is very big. If you will be comparing with Zwift make sure you ride under the same conditions (road grade and grade reduction settings as zwift has those too)
VeloReality Forum Administrator
ghetto

Post by ghetto »

I'll do an stricter emulation on Zwift and see what happens and let you know. My experience is still that Zwift was about right and VR was seriously undercounting, which makes me thing the trainer is not the problem.
If you will be comparing with Zwift make sure you ride under the same conditions (road grade and grade reduction settings as zwift has those too)
Surely cadence is cadence - 1 for each complete revolution of a crank. What have the road & grade settings got to do with it?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ghetto wrote:I'll do an stricter emulation on Zwift and see what happens and let you know. My experience is still that Zwift was about right and VR was seriously undercounting, which makes me thing the trainer is not the problem.
If you will be comparing with Zwift make sure you ride under the same conditions (road grade and grade reduction settings as zwift has those too)
Surely cadence is cadence - 1 for each complete revolution of a crank. What have the road & grade settings got to do with it?
Vortex measures cadence by looking at torque changes and this is very imprecise method. As a result if you rode with real cadence of 60RPM at torque A and then 60RPM at torque B vortex most likely will show you different numbers. Road grade settings and it's equivalent in Zwift address scaling of grades and the torque as a result so the same 4% grade at the same speed may produce totally different torque depending on hill scaling settings.

If you want REAL cadence I strongly suggest that you get a REAL cadence sensor. At high speed and low torque settings trainers like the one mentioned show anything but real cadence.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
ghetto

Post by ghetto »

OK so Vortex doesn't really count cadence, it guesses it? Wow. (Though I did wonder how it could count it without a crank sensor).