Downloading videos

General discussion about the LYNX Trainer.
admin
Site Admin

Downloading videos

Post by admin »

BROWSER PLAYS VIDEO FILE INSTEAD Of DOWNLOADING
If you want to download a video file instead of playing it in your browser, you can follow these steps:
  • Right-click on the video file link.
  • Select "Save link as" or "Save target as" (depending on your browser) from the context menu.
  • Choose a location on your computer where you want to save the file.
  • Click "Save" to start the download.
Alternatively, you can also click on the link to open the video file in your browser, and then use the browser's download manager to save the file to your computer. To do this, look for the download icon in your browser's toolbar or menu, and click on it to initiate the download.

VIDEO FOLDER - PLACE TO STORE YOUR VIDEOS
The best approach is to create separate folder where you would keep all your downloaded Veloreality videos and point the software to that folder (see the pic. below)
It not mandatory but is better if the software and the videos are on physically different hard drives.

DOWNLOADED VIDEO NOT VISIBLE IN OUR SOFTWARE

Sometimes videos are downloaded but you can not see them in the list of rides in VRide software even though it points to correct folder. The reason is that sometimes Browser/Download Manager renames the file by adding sequential number surrounded by round brackets to its name and it now looks like XXXX(1).XXX/XXXX(2).XXX/etc instead of XXXX.XXX. Just rename it back to XXXX.XXX by removing brackets and surrounded number. When exploring files on your computer it is recommended that file browser is set not to hide file extensions.

VIDEO WORKS BUT AT SOME POINT IT STOPS, PLAYER HANGS,CRASHES,BLACK SCREENS, ETC.

Downloaded video got corrupted. That happens sometimes when not using good download manager. For test you can try opening the same video with windows media player (or whatever software you are using to play video files) and then move position slider randomly through the whole range. If video is corrupted said video player will behave the same as our software (crash, hang, stop, black screen, etc. etc ). Erase corrupted video and download it again.

SLOW DOWNLOADS, VIDEO CORRUPTED

Some users might experience slow downloads and / or sometimes downloads are interrupted without possibility to resume. Or video did download but does not work because it got corrupted. Well browsers are not very good tool for downloading huge files (and our cycling video files are just that). We highly recommend that instead of using browser to download media files you resort to using specialized download managers.

Those programs can greatly speed up downloads by retrieving files in chunks and getting few chunks in parallel. They can also resume aborted downloads without starting it from the scratch and have lots of other nice features. Finally downloads using those programs are reliable: you do not end up with corrupted video files as happens sometimes when downloading using just web browser.

The example would be "Free Download Manager" from
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Steps to setup Free Download Manager (FDM) to work with the browser of your choicer:

1) After installing and starting FDM go to main menu - click icon located at top right corner of FDM window and represented by 3 horizontal stripes
2) Click on "Settings"
3) Click on "Browser integration"
4) Check boxes representing the browsers that you use.
5) If using Chrome browser appropriate FDM extension for Chrome must be installed. The extension can be downloaded and enabled from Crome store at:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bfdp?hl=en

There are also appropriate settings/extensions for integration with the other browsers

There are also other download managers available.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
HHRoadtrip

Re: Downloading videos

Post by HHRoadtrip »

Agree! I have been using FreeDownloadManager with excellent results for the large VeloReality files, and other large files. It greatly improves download times and reduces the irritation factor even more!
chezstevens

Post by chezstevens »

Hi Folks,
Newbie to VeloReality. I read the training apps review on DCRs website and here we are.
I thought I would download one of your huge files, it is a pain :)
I tried copying across the .wmv file across to Free Downloader Manager (FDM) without success. Thought I was reasonably tech savvy ... how is it done? Is there an "Idiots Guide" for downloading your VeloReality video files using FDM?
Thanks in advance, Vern
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Start free download Manager
2) In Veloreality site go to "My account" (login if needed)
3) Look to "Available Download Section", click and hold left mouse button on any video you want to download and without releasing mouse button drag and drop it into Free Download Manager window
4) Manager will think for a little while telling something in line of "retreiving download info" and then start download process.
5) When it is done you can use the file in our software.
6) Finally if something does not work for you you can get live help from us and will set you up.
Here is how: https://veloreality.com/forum/viewtopic ... &t=94#p296
Yohans

Post by Yohans »

Perhaps something has changed. Following these instructions only downloads an "Index" file html 49.1 kb.
Nothing else downloads.
FDM reports the download as complete.
Bertram

Post by Bertram »

What is considered a good download speed?

I am currently downloading at 500KB/1MB per second. (Regardless of downloadmanager and browser). Is this what it is supposed to be? I usually get 13 - 14MB/sec from other sites...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yohans wrote:Perhaps something has changed. Following these instructions only downloads an "Index" file html 49.1 kb.
Nothing else downloads.
FDM reports the download as complete.
Yes something did change and I am not sure what. Will have to investigate. Meanwhile here is what works:
1) In Free Download Manager (FDM) go to main menu - click icon located at top right corner of FDM window and represented by 3 horizontal stripes
2) Click on "Settings"
3) Click on "Browser integration"
4) Check boxes representing the browsers that you use.
5) If using Chrome browser appropriate FDM extension for Chrome must be installed. The extension can be downloaded and enabled from Crome store at:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bfdp?hl=en

After above steps are completed FDM will simply trap all downloads when clicking on download links.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bertram wrote:What is considered a good download speed?

I am currently downloading at 500KB/1MB per second. (Regardless of downloadmanager and browser). Is this what it is supposed to be? I usually get 13 - 14MB/sec from other sites...
I just tried few videos and the speed I am getting is about 35MB/sec. As stated above please fill out contact form on our web site with SKU (first 4 digits of file names you are trying to download) or just give your order# and I will give you alternative download location if one is available for particular file. Unfortunately for some customers downloads are slow no matter what. I guess it depends on various peering agreements between various backbone providers. The solution that guarantees good speed for every corner of Earth and every backbone provider has prohibitive costs at the moment.
HHRoadtrip

Post by HHRoadtrip »

I just downloaded the four files of the Marmotte Grand Tour, using Free Download Manager and Firefox. The files are 10 to 12 gigs each. The first took about 90 minutes, averaging about 2 Meg/sec. The other three downloads were started at bedtime, and were done by morning- not blazing fast, but pretty painless!
Bertram

Post by Bertram »

admin wrote:
Bertram wrote:What is considered a good download speed?

I just tried few videos and the speed I am getting is about 35MB/sec. As stated above please fill out contact form on our web site with SKU (first 4 digits of file names you are trying to download) or just give your order# and I will give you alternative download location if one is available for particular file. Unfortunately for some customers downloads are slow no matter what. I guess it depends on various peering agreements between various backbone providers. The solution that guarantees good speed for every corner of Earth and every backbone provider has prohibitive costs at the moment.
I got 2 MB/sec next morning. Not exactly blazing fast, but good enough to let it run in the background and be done after the coffee.