Downloading videos

General discussion about the LYNX Trainer.
aw3

Re: Downloading videos

Post by aw3 »

Just wondered if any further news on speeding downloads up? I've tried using the Free Download Manager as suggested but still get the same speed of only about 1.2 megabytes per second, when my usual download speed is 5-6 megabytes per second, which I usually actually achieve when downloading videos from Reallife.de etc. Tried both Paterberg and my first purchased video (St Martin) - both the same. I'm in the UK Many thanks. AW
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We are working on it but it has to make sense for both sides. As it stands now the quote for guaranteed bandwidth across the world is too much (yes our customers are everywhere bar Antarctica). Besides we are not even sure what is really going on as we have customers in UK who are able to get download speeds in excess of 10 megabytes/s.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
aw3

Post by aw3 »

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. Could local/regional mirrors be a possible solution?
bkingsbury

Post by bkingsbury »

I live in Papua New Guinea where it is too dangerous to ride outside and the internet is slow and painful. I rely on the indoor trainer.

I have tried downloading videos using web browsers, Getright and Free Download Manager. I have left them running for days. Then I tested the software. Using Free Download Manager I started the download, left it running, then paused and pressed resume and the whole file started downloading again from zero. The internet is so slow that overnight I will download 1gb. So I left it running for days but every time I checked the download had restarted from zero again.

I tried Getright, with the same result. This time Getright told me that "this server does not support resuming."

I'm at a loss as to why you wouldn't support resuming on such large downloads.

I'm now in the situation where I have purchased a number of videos but can't download them as you don't support resuming.

Every other large download from other vendors I simply leave running and eventually it downloads. Pauses, resumes etc.

But Veloreality. No.

What now?
bauer

Post by bauer »

Within an hour of contacting support, you were offered a hard drive at cost, containing all media, in HD, at cost, (with your purchased rides licensed on that drive). That mitigates all future download frustrations. We also offered a discount on price that for the 4 ride bundle. We also offered up a refund if you were not satisfied.

Yes, we host. The vast majority of folks get their downloads fine, some slower, some with Free Download Manager, or other similar tools.

We aim to please. We've also opened a ticket with the host to see if we can enable a resume on our hosting package - that will not go quickly.

Let us know your preferred option and we'll try to sort things out :)

Thanks.
bkingsbury

Post by bkingsbury »

Much appreciated.

I wasn't sure where the best place was to post my issue so tried emailing directly as well as posting here. (I sent the email and posted on here just before I went to bed at 11pm so didn't see the response until 5:30am this morning.)

Let me say publicly that yes I appreciate the speedy assistance and generous help and I am very much satisfied with the resolution.

It has been very frustrating trying to download purchased videos and a great big thumbs up to Veloreality support for the alternative solution.

I understand my situation is a little unique because of the extremely poor internet speeds we get here. I get 150kbs tops.

So thank you again.
bfgaunt

Extremely slow download speed

Post by bfgaunt »

I'm trying to down load my videos and I am getting less than 10KB/sec! I have just done a speed check with my ISP and get over 250Mbits/sec. The download time estimate is 3 days for the first of the Grand Alp videos! Do you have alternative servers for Europe?

Thanks
Barry
bfgaunt

Post by bfgaunt »

Re. my post above. I now find that by using the download manager (mentioned above) that I get a much higher download speed. In fact if I request multiple parallel downloads everything speeds up even more. Now currently 4 x 8MB/sec! So now a happy bunny!

Update: Yes, using download manager with Chrome AND requesting 4 or 5 concurrent downloads certainly increased the download rate. In fact if the number of concurrent downloads was below 3, then the download speed DECREASED back down to 150KB/sec - requesting more concurrent downloads pushed the rate up to 5-6 MB/sec again. But, as always, YMMV.

Cheers,
Barry