LYNX VR is really the finest virtual reality cycling trainer

General discussion about the LYNX Trainer.
Bradox78

LYNX VR is really the finest virtual reality cycling trainer

Post by Bradox78 »

I have been owning a Lynx for over a year now and I am extremly pleased with this trainer. It would be an understatement to say that this piece of hardware easily surpasses my former Elite RealAxiom and all other trainers I have tried. It is much quieter and the ride simulation feels far more accurate and realistic.

Last August, I spent a week of vacation in l'Alpe d'Huez. I used this opportunity to compare the Lynx simulation with the real famous climb of the
Tour de France. :)

Considered route :

The two test configurations were as follows :

1. Veloreality configuration :
  • - Lynx VR Trainer,
    - Veloreality Vride software + Alpe d'Huez climb video (custom ride out of "Marmotte part 4" video),

- Bike : Specialized Secteur Comp (Shimano 105 10 speed compact groupset, 50/34T 172.5 mm, 11-28T),
    - Powermeter : PowerTap G3 Alloy Rear Wheel, Continental Hometrainer II Road Tyre 700x23C,
    - Speed/cadence sensor : Garmin GSC-10,
    - Heart rate monitor : Garmin.

- Veloreality weight parameters : cyclist = 72 kg + bike = 8,5 kg. Parameters set to reflect the real configuration (see below),
    - No grade reduction.

2. "Real" configuration :
  • -Bike : Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL (SRAM Red 10 speed compact groupset, 50/34T 172.5 mm, 11-28T), Mavic R-Sys SLR wheels, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 700x23C tyres,
    - Powermeter : Powertap P1 pedals,
    - Computer : Garmin Edge 800,
    - Speed/cadence sensor : Garmin GSC-10,
    - Heart rate monitor : Garmin.

- Total weight : 80,6 kg (fully equipped cyclist + bike with 2 full bottles, garmin edge 800, pump, frame and saddle bags)

- Climb on Sunday, August 30th, 2015.
    - Weather : very sunny, warm, almost no wind.

Here is the analysis and comparison of the respective data using GoldenCheetah.

As you can notice, the simulation is remarkably similar to the real climb, whatever the parameter considered.
The Lynx + Vride experience almost replicates the true degree of physical effort required for the real climb.

"With VeloReality, you can Ride Reality using your existing bicycle on real road courses, experiencing real resistance, and measuring real power" : this is absolutely correct ! 8-)
Lynx VR Trainer v1 - PowerTap G3 Alloy Rear Wheel - Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor and heart rate monitor - Dynastream ANTUSB-m stick - Asus Vivo PC X (Intel Core i5-7300HQ, GeForce GTX 1060, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Win10 64 bits).