Veloreality proposes feature please respond

admin
Site Admin

Veloreality proposes feature please respond

Post by admin »

We are not Zwift and do not have 1000s riders of all abilities riding the same course. And what we do have is partially hampered by different level of fitness. I would sure love to ride with that great XYZ rider but the problem is that he has 350W ftp vs my 250W. In order to rectify the situation I want to add online riding friendly feature. Will be just a checkbox you click before starting a ride. What it will do is basically assume your weight to be always let's say 70kg and normalize your power against average FTP (200W for example). Basically if your FTP is 300 watts your current power will be scaled down by 300/200 ratio and if your FTP is 150W then you current power will be scaled up by 200/150 ratio. This way you would be approximately of the same average ability during the ride but still have a chance to kick each other's butt if you wish so.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
HHRoadtrip

Re: Veloreality proposes feature please respond

Post by HHRoadtrip »

Wow! That sounds like a great idea! It doesn't fix the time zone issue, or the need to have identical videos, but it levels the playing field regarding age, fitness, weight etc. I'm healing up from surgery, but hope to be riding next week. Thanks for this innovative handicap system!
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

Could be a good idea to remove the GPS data from your tcx if you have selected this as a option...to avoid anyone gaining all the new virtual ride KOMs on strava...or mark them as ebike? :twisted:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VeloReality Video wrote:Could be a good idea to remove the GPS data from your tcx if you have selected this as a option...to avoid anyone gaining all the new virtual ride KOMs on strava...or mark them as ebike? :twisted:
Well I'd be really surprised if riding at 170W-200W (whatever we decide to establish as a base) will start setting new KOM's on Strava. Not a friggin chance unless that segment was only ridden once by my granny.
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

admin wrote:
VeloReality Video wrote:Could be a good idea to remove the GPS data from your tcx if you have selected this as a option...to avoid anyone gaining all the new virtual ride KOMs on strava...or mark them as ebike? :twisted:
Well I'd be really surprised if riding at 170W-200W (whatever we decide to establish as a base) will start setting new KOM's on Strava. Not a friggin chance unless that segment was only ridden once by my granny.
Good point, the only person that gets Virtual Ride Strava KOMs at 200watts is me & I for sure do not deserve to keep them
Mighty Malc

Post by Mighty Malc »

My FTP is about 223. So normalising everybody to about 200W will not dramatically affect my efforts.
I use my computrainer and VeloReality to train for time trialling. Be it slow endurance hill climbing type rides or fast rides on the flat.

I like to race against 'real' people. So if somebody averaging 250W is on the course I am very happy to chase them for several miles then admire as they get away from me. Good for them! And good training.
And conversely if I get to chase somebody doing 175W, catch them and go away then I feel very encouraged. All my training is doing me some good.
And when I am tired after a few days riding then staying with somebody doing 175W is fine by me.

So I have no interest in artificially levelling everybody off and prefer the inequality like it is.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mighty Malc wrote:My FTP is about 223. So normalising everybody to about 200W will not dramatically affect my efforts.
I use my computrainer and VeloReality to train for time trialling. Be it slow endurance hill climbing type rides or fast rides on the flat.

I like to race against 'real' people. So if somebody averaging 250W is on the course I am very happy to chase them for several miles then admire as they get away from me. Good for them! And good training.
And conversely if I get to chase somebody doing 175W, catch them and go away then I feel very encouraged. All my training is doing me some good.
And when I am tired after a few days riding then staying with somebody doing 175W is fine by me.

So I have no interest in artificially levelling everybody off and prefer the inequality like it is.
1) If we had loads of riders riding every video we've got then sure why bother.
2) The feature I mentioned is optional, you will have to click check box (let's call it "online friendly mode") before you start riding. If you do not click it then you go at your real abilities .
HHRoadtrip

Post by HHRoadtrip »

Not much feedback- I suspect that there are many VeloReality users who are unaware of this forum and therefore unaware of the proposal. Is there any way that VR can reach out to all users (via account e-mail) to encourage them to visit and perhaps participate in the forum.

I hope this optional "handicapping" feature gets put into effect.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HHRoadtrip wrote:Not much feedback- I suspect that there are many VeloReality users who are unaware of this forum and therefore unaware of the proposal. Is there any way that VR can reach out to all users (via account e-mail) to encourage them to visit and perhaps participate in the forum.

I hope this optional "handicapping" feature gets put into effect.
I received couple more of replies by email but that was it. I will put the feature in anyways I think. As it will be optional and needed to be selected to activate there should be no harm. As for reaching the users, I will try to do something about it. The amount of users registered to this forum is microscopic comparatively to total number of customers.
rkoch615

Post by rkoch615 »

I think it is a great idea. If it's optional, then everybody has a choice.