Wednesday Race 7Pm GMT

KeithD

Wednesday Race 7Pm GMT

Post by KeithD »

OK Now totally Sick of TTS since last nights update to solve issues. One issue solved two bugs added.
I organised a ride on TTS on Wednesday at 7PM GMT.

I will now run Ventoux part 2 at the same time every Wednesday.
The race starts at 7PM GMT

Join me I will not start pedaling until 7PM Do not go ahead of me before the start .As I am going to try to get a Strava segment time for all riders. The segment timing does not start until exactly 7PM GMT
You will need to upload to Strava and then go in and change the name of the ride to To the top include VRM
So Strava Name of ride change to
To the top VRM

This may or may not work to get results this way but it is an experiment.

The actual race is not the full video. I will be on and stopped just before the start of the segment. the race is to the top of the gorge. About 20K

Once at the top feel free to carry on at any pace you like or regroup with other riders.

Please log on for chat before the race to.

http://tacxtours.com/chat.shtml

As we can chat before the race if you unsure of something as there is no messaging in Veloreality ( perhaps this is something that would be useful with live riders.)
HHRoadtrip

Re: Wednesday Race 7Pm GMT

Post by HHRoadtrip »

I missed your posting on this forum, but just happened to find you already riding Ventoux 2 today- with K8. You guys are a bit too strong for me, but still fun to share the road with you. I'll plan to ride next Wednesday- I hope more riders will join in. Thanks for organizing this.
KeithD

Post by KeithD »

I thought what you did go off and jump ahead was a good Idea. If you plan it right its good fun. More riders needed. Oh yes a messaging system would be good. just to let riders know what the ride is about, and give a verbal wave. to say hi.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

KeithD wrote:I thought what you did go off and jump ahead was a good Idea. If you plan it right its good fun. More riders needed. Oh yes a messaging system would be good. just to let riders know what the ride is about, and give a verbal wave. to say hi.
My opinion can always change under pressure of users but let me try to explain something.

I am extremely reluctant to implement things like online chat for the following reasons:

1) Various chat systems are is already implemented/tested/debugged/being maintained many times by many vendors. I for example do audio connect using Skype when I ride with my buddy.

2) Implementing chat on our own currently seems to me like reinventing a wheel and taking away resources that can be best spent doing way more exciting features.

Now try to convince me that I am wrong
VeloReality Forum Administrator
glepore

Post by glepore »

These rides are a good idea...need to come up with an after hours alternative for those of us on the other side of the Atlantic, 7pm gmt is the middle of our workday :D .

Anyone? Say Wed 7pm est (12pm GMT)? Need to settle on a course.

FWIW, I'm only 3-3.5 w/kg, not a super strong rider.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

glepore wrote:These rides are a good idea...need to come up with an after hours alternative for those of us on the other side of the Atlantic, 7pm gmt is the middle of our workday :D .

Then maybe you start new thread for US east/west (whichever is appropriate to you) coast?
KeithD

Post by KeithD »

glepore wrote:These rides are a good idea...need to come up with an after hours alternative for those of us on the other side of the Atlantic, 7pm gmt is the middle of our workday :D .

The only way is for someone to start something off.
I have experience from 2003.
Netathlon was bigger in the US then in Europe but still not many.
I started a Tuesday night ride and rode alone for a while.Then someone joined in from the UK then a guy from France a chap from Holland. and then a rider from America he worked in the afternoon and could ride before he went to work.
You have to start a ride and ride the same course on the same day at the same time and tell as many people as possible on here and anywhere you can think of.
You cannot expect people to look for a ride.
Zwift is the only company to structure the software to get people to join. Its worked well.
All the other trainer software companies have just left it to the users.
The TTS software is a good example. There have been only three or four people who organize races online. With no help from Tacx
I have always maintained that the companies should set up a web site so that results and races could be done easily and in the same structured way. Netathon ignored this Tacx ignored this. Zwift saw the potential and they have a great system anyone can easily set up a race and have it seen in the same place. if i want to ride I look at Zwift Nation and its all there. Races, Rides. the results are all in the same format.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zwift is the only company to structure the software to get people to join. Its worked well.

With a single short course one did not have too many options where to go. And because the course is short I have way higher chance to join someone. Couple that with huge paid for marketing campaign and you get the results.

In case of RLV people are spread between multiple rides and the rides are rather long. When I start the ride and if I want to join first I need to find the ride with the rider, then that rider should not be too far into ride and then we should be more or less equal. Personally I do not even bother for it. I have friend or two and when we feel like riding together we call each other up and go.

Zwift saw the potential and they have a great system anyone can easily set up a race and have it seen in the same place. if i want to ride I look at Zwift Nation and its all there. Races, Rides. the results are all in the same format.

Of course it is in the same place as one does not have much choice (well they started doing something about it recently). If we are to do something like that we should eliminate every video but one. Not very good idea ;)

As for racing results: it will come at some point but look at Zwift. Right now they have holy war between riders with power meters and without.

In any case Zwift is well executed success story (well assuming they were able to recover expenses and have some extra) but I do not think that trying to copy them is very smart idea.
KeithD

Post by KeithD »

admin wrote:
KeithD wrote:I thought what you did go off and jump ahead was a good Idea. If you plan it right its good fun. More riders needed. Oh yes a messaging system would be good. just to let riders know what the ride is about, and give a verbal wave. to say hi.
My opinion can always change under pressure of users but let me try to explain something.

I am extremely reluctant to implement things like online chat for the following reasons:

1) Various chat systems are is already implemented/tested/debugged/being maintained many times by many vendors. I for example do audio connect using Skype when I ride with my buddy.

2) Implementing chat on our own currently seems to me like reinventing a wheel and taking away resources that can be best spent doing way more exciting features.

Now try to convince me that I am wrong
OK i will try.
Not audio as you say there are lots you can use, Teamspeak Skype, two for starters.

Netathon used to have a lobby. Where riders would join before riding and we could discuss by typing ,what course to use and what type of ride it would be.
TTS uses a the same type of system before the ride and also once in the ride riders can type and a message box comes on screen.
Zwift uses the online box and messages can be typed. This can be very useful for controlling a ride. Often on Zwift there is a lot of rubbish typed but with 1000+ riders on that is going to happen
On Veloreality The other night HHroadtrip could have typed."Too fast I will start again 2k up ahead try to catch me." Now I had an idea he did this. when I was riding but it would have been nice to know for sure. Without the name on the flag I would not even have known it was the same rider. (So that was worth having Thanks)

I started the race at 7PM GMT now I was stopped just before the start point. Anyone joining at 6:50 not knowing the ride had not started would be wondering what I was doing. I could just type in. Starting riding at 7 join in just behind me. its a race to the top then a regroup for a cool down.

I think Kostya you are thinking that buddies get together who know each other to ride on line, but most of the time you don't know who they are. Without communication you never will. Fine they may come on here or the Facebook page. They may not, or may not even know about it. While you have got them on line in a ride. You can tell them, "same time next week. Please join Facebook page. or check out the Strava club Veloreality". Better from your point of view once we have a community, courses for races can be discussed and new films purchased.
Without being able to converse most people are anonymous icons, that you may only chance on again sometime.

How message could transpire a the end of ride.

"Hi @{~@ good ride that I enjoyed the company"
"Thanks are you on a lot"
"Yes Every Tuesday and Thursday around 7 pm "
"what courses have you got"

and so on.

"look up and join Veloreality Races on Facebook and we will get some races and rides sorted join https://www.strava.com/clubs/46850 as well"
"Ok will do See ya"
"bye"

How did I do Kostya are you seeing my point?

Its not just for chat. during a ride, I hardly ever type when I am riding, but before and after, on the software you are using, not third party software that the other rider may not have, or know exists. How would he even know you were using one and which one of the many?
gordo

Post by gordo »

KeithD wrote:OK Now totally Sick of TTS since last nights update to solve issues. One issue solved two bugs added.
I organised a ride on TTS on Wednesday at 7PM GMT.

I will now run Ventoux part 2 at the same time every Wednesday.
The race starts at 7PM GMT

Join me I will not start pedaling until 7PM Do not go ahead of me before the start .As I am going to try to get a Strava segment time for all riders. The segment timing does not start until exactly 7PM GMT
You will need to upload to Strava and then go in and change the name of the ride to To the top include VRM
So Strava Name of ride change to
To the top VRM

This may or may not work to get results this way but it is an experiment.

The actual race is not the full video. I will be on and stopped just before the start of the segment. the race is to the top of the gorge. About 20K

Once at the top feel free to carry on at any pace you like or regroup with other riders.

Please log on for chat before the race to.

http://tacxtours.com/chat.shtml

As we can chat before the race if you unsure of something as there is no messaging in Veloreality ( perhaps this is something that would be useful with live riders.)
I would love to join in but unfortunately I'm on the west coast of canada and don't get a chance to get on the bike until 4:00 pm PST. But if there is anyone who wants to start between 4:00 and 5:00 PST PM me and we can arrange a time.

gordo