KICKR FAQ, SIGNAL DROPS

admin
Site Admin

KICKR FAQ, SIGNAL DROPS

Post by admin »

I can do live support over Skype/Teamviewer combination. Will be much faster
than exchanging posts. My Skype_ID is poukhov_kostya.

For faster replies try to use email. Due to various reasons I am not browsing
forums nearly as often as I am reading my email

Special note for KICKR users in regards to signal drops

1) Make sure to update KICKR to it's latest firmware (1.3.8 at the moment)

2) Do not run any ANT+ receiver like Garmin head unit in parallel. We were warned by Wahoo about it.

3) Try to avoid ANT+ SUUNTO MOVESTICK MINI. It does not have good radio and leads to frequent intermittent transmission loss. We have contacted couple of other software vendors and they confirmed the same. Use ANTUSB-m stick from Garmin. Place stick as close as possible to your ANT+ KICKRs. Use USB extension cable if needed. ANTUSB-m stick from Garmin can be ordered from our online store or from many other online vendors.

4) If you have to use long USB cable to place ANT+ stick close to your KICKR try to get so called ACTIVE USB EXTENSION cable or USB 3.0 cables, Not the regular USB 2.0 ones. They're plentiful on Amazon and other online retailer sites.

5) General signal interference. Here is a message from one of the customers for kicks:
Hi think I know why my KICKR sometimes have drop outs. I just bought a wireless Lan Card for my computer. After that a lot of drop outs.. After I turned of the wireless Lan card nearly no problems
Changing channel on your wireless router/relocating it happened to fix drops in some instances as well

6) Do not plug ANT stick to auxiliary USB ports on your monitors/keyboards. Those ports do not work very well. One customer had problem just because he had ANT+ stic plugged into USB port of his Apple keyboard. Always use ports on your computer or at least powered USB hubs.

7) Make sure when you "Learn"/Pair your ANT+ devices you click "Save" button in ANT+ devices section. If you did not click "Save: the software will keep scanning for new sensors and this will cause drop outs

8) Make sure that if you paired to any ANT+ sensor other then KICKR that they're present an active. If any sensor were previously [aired with and not currently active (low battery/whatever else) the software will keep scanning for that sensors and it will cause drops on other channels.
VeloReality Forum Administrator
rwajtb

Re: BETTER SUPPORT AND KICKR FAQ

Post by rwajtb »

This is a great, personal, and timely way to do customer support. Other companies such as IFIT and TACX should pickup on this, but I guess if they can't even answer emails than this probably wouldn't work for them!

I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't even had one 'drop' with ANT+ running the VR software (knock on wood?), compared to several problems with running the standard KICKR with BLTE. If I need it, I'm glad that your support is there and '1st class'!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rwajtb wrote:I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't even had one 'drop' with ANT+ running the VR software (knock on wood?)
Out of hundreds of KICKR's customers very few had complained knocking on a wood myself ;)
mojothefish

Post by mojothefish »

Gonna try with my new active usb cable on Tuesday to see if my drop outs stop
ol1

Post by ol1 »

1) Make sure to update KICKR to it's latest firmware
The latest firmware is 1.2.2
Fixed the drops by upgrading to 1.3.22 (beta). You can do it from hidden "service" menu in wahoo utility app
paulg

Re: KICKR FAQ, SIGNAL DROPS

Post by paulg »

What is the hidden way to use the wahoo utility to update the firmware ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

paulg wrote:What is the hidden way to use the wahoo utility to update the firmware ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjulqamjohe7v ... n.mov?dl=0

That is access to beta level firmware so you are on your own at that point. I'd first try other "legit" ways outlinet in the thread before resorting to this
ol1

Post by ol1 »

paulg wrote:What is the hidden way to use the wahoo utility to update the firmware ?
On Android you have to tap 10 times on kickr icon
Attachments
kickr.png
kickr.png (24.44 KiB) Viewed 34976 times
alex.maxwell

Post by alex.maxwell »

I bought an ant+ from you because you say the sunnto does not work well? Its worse.

I have updated to the new firmware 1.3.8

I have extended my usb to sit next to the Kickr.

I am using a powered usb slot.

I have wasted my time and money.

Utterly utterly usless.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

alex.maxwell wrote: I bought an ant+ from you because you say the sunnto does not work well? Its worse.
I have updated to the new firmware 1.3.8
I have extended my usb to sit next to the Kickr.
I am using a powered usb slot.
I have wasted my time and money.
Utterly utterly usless.
I think you should direct your anger at whomever had made a decision to use very low power non reliable wireless protocol in rather very noisy house environment. In most cases it works and in some it does not. For example one of our customers had everything working and then it stopped. The culprit was his new USB wireless card. In another case (that was with different well known software) just turning on XBox killed connectivity. We can not really control such cases. That's the price you pay for owning KICKR: small percentage of customers do experience problem due to signal drops. Sometimes mild and sometimes severe. The reasons could be well outside our control.

This is why we give you free software, free demo videos that you can test to your heart's content before you buy anything. We also do offer live help but you have basically refused one.