KICKR FAQ, SIGNAL DROPS

VeloReality Video

Re: KICKR FAQ, SIGNAL DROPS

Post by VeloReality Video »

If you have not already done so though I would 1st buy a cheap USB extension cable & get your dongle closer to the Kickr.
rgurney

Post by rgurney »

Agree with everything you have said about signal drops/connectivity and the vulnerability of such. In my experience, I would recommend shortest possible USB 3.0 cable (NOT powered) to put the dongle next to the KICKR. I use a 6 foot USB 3.0 cable plugged directly into the front of my DELL /WINDOWS 7 computer and got much better connection with ANTUSB-M than with Suunto. The low power wireless protocol used by KICKR is an open invitation to interference problems.
VeloReality Video

Post by VeloReality Video »

I use this http://www.futurumshop.nl/tacx-ant-ii-u ... oCGE7w_wcB & two of the bike shops that have Kickr & Veloreality software on display Ive been to use this one also, has the cable & a solid metal base so it stays put. This thing picks up any Kickr trainers from maybe 10meters away!
rgurney

Post by rgurney »

Checked online - several US distributors say that product has been discontinued and is no longer available (that may only be in the US). :(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rgurney wrote:Checked online - several US distributors say that product has been discontinued and is no longer available (that may only be in the US). :(
I do not think this product is any better. I run that tiny ANT USB-m stick and it works just fine mostly without single signal drop during a ride. I think his is just a case of some severe RF interference. Maybe something else is wrong but as he effectively refused live help I can't say much.

On the other hand KICKR protocol designers just did not handle signal loss properly I think. For example when our software receiving signal from ANT+ sensors it does not care if it misses some packets. KICKR's hardware/firmware combo should act in the same manner when it receives commands from the software over the air. If command does not come it should just keep executing the last known state instead of resetting to some default mode which it seems to be doing. Had they done something like this everything most likely would've worked just fine.
VeloReality Forum Administrator